GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone recommend a good fuel injector cleaner?

FriggenT1

Banned
I have been doing it in my other car every other oil change. It's a 2000 toyota solara v6.
Sea foam is totally safe if you are using it in the intake and gas, but I would be careful using it in the oil just as with any engine flush or cleaner. My friend put a little to much into his civic ex and his valve seals started leaking pretty bad. I think the only reason it tells you to put 1/3 of a bottle into the intake is that so someone doesnt accidently hydro lock their engine.

This isn't a solara....not even close.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
BG44K great product :thumbsup:

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Gumout with regane is a good one that also has PEA that softens carbon, but very little gets to the valves, it might help the injectors a little.

+1

I'm probably due for another carbon cleaning and I had been having some intermittent cold startup sputtering; threw a code or two over a couple days.

Tossed a bottle in every other fill up over approximately 6 fill ups and it definitely resulted in a slightly smoother idle. Been adding one about every month since (over the last 10-15K or so) and she seems to be pretty happy with the occasional extra treat.

#bidingmytime

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
BG44K is mostly NAPHTHA(hvy) and Stoddard solvents(mineral spirit like)...both have a measure of crude oil in them as well. It works well but rather than buying BG44K, you can just add 3oz each of spirits and Naphtha to a full tank.

FriggenT1

Banned
BG44K is mostly NAPHTHA(hvy) and Stoddard solvents(mineral spirit like)...both have a measure of crude oil in them as well. It works well but rather than buying BG44K, you can just add 3oz each of spirits and Naphtha to a full tank.

This....like this guys cleaning method...gets a lot of carbon out

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
In 15k miles I used a couple bottles of tecron fuel injector cleaner, and seafoam through the manifold. I removed the mani and did the carbon cleaning and the valves were still very dirty. Injector tips were all dirty with a couple clogs.

FriggenT1

Banned
In 15k miles I used a couple bottles of tecron fuel injector cleaner, and seafoam through the manifold. I removed the mani and did the carbon cleaning and the valves were still very dirty. Injector tips were all dirty with a couple clogs.

I was hoping I'd be able to afford an IE manifold by the time I needed to clean mine, but 1k is just too much

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
Seafoam is nearly 2/3 mineral oil with about 1/3 NAPHTHA.
If you want to clean the valves with a blow-by..I suggest using 12oz-fuel and 4oz-(2oz mineral spirits & 2oz Naphtha). Engine at operating temps to start and take your time injecting the solution with someone on the throttle. Ii do this and bore-scope and it removes over 90% of build-up immediately and gets even better after a few drives. Next time I do this, I plan to add about 1oz of a Gumout product w/P.E.A. to the solution...but that's 20k miles away yet.

FriggenT1

Banned
Seafoam is nearly 2/3 mineral oil with about 1/3 NAPHTHA.
If you want to clean the valves with a blow-by..I suggest using 12oz-fuel and 4oz-(2oz mineral spirits & 2oz Naphtha). Engine at operating temps to start and take your time injecting the solution with someone on the throttle. Ii do this and bore-scope and it removes over 90% of build-up immediately and gets even better after a few drives. Next time I do this, I plan to add about 1oz of a Gumout product w/P.E.A. to the solution...but that's 20k miles away yet.

I'll be adding that to mine, got the regane and all the stuff. Does the injected fuel have to be a Mobil or shell fuel? 93? Does it matter? Lol

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
I usually do the blow-by leaving 2 or 3 days of driving before I change the oil...but yes, I change oil afterwards. I've never noticed any flooding of the solution in the drained oil as it would if had gotten past the rings. But to be safe, I always plan a changing soon after.