GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Permatex sealant for valve cover?

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
Looking at their webpage, there are two options.

1. Permatex® High Temperature Anaerobic Flange Sealant

withstand temperatures to 400°F (204°C), fills gaps up to 0.020” (primed)

2. Permatex® Anaerobic Flange Sealant

for use on rigid machined flanges with less than .015" gap. OEM approved – use where OE’s specify “anaerobic” gasket (cures in the absence of air). Withstands temperatures to 300°F (149°C)

https://www.shopdap.com/permatex-anaerobic-sealant-d154103a1.html

On Deutsche Auto Parts, they recommend the second one. But I wonder if the high temp sealant will hold better?

Thank you in advance.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Technically we don't have valve covers, we have cylinder head covers. The only reason it's important to point that out is because unlike valve covers in a normal DOHC setup, the upper bearing caps for the camshafts are integrated into them.

I don't know if I'm being pedantic by pointing this out or not. But to address the question if Deutsche recommends it for this specific application I'm sure it's good.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
Technically we don't have valve covers, we have cylinder head covers. The only reason it's important to point that out is because unlike valve covers in a normal DOHC setup, the upper bearing caps for the camshafts are integrated into them.

I don't know if I'm being pedantic by pointing this out or not. But to address the question if Deutsche recommends it for this specific application I'm sure it's good.

Thank you for pointing out.
I have been told it should be called as the cam girdle, and opening it up will mess up the cam/ timing?
The reason why I am considering permatex is because it is cheaper and hope it performs better than the OEM green sealant.

joshterrell861

Passed Driver's Ed
The oem green works great on fsi. But my tsi hates it. Mines pissing out slightly too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion

zrickety

The Fixer
Bringing this back from the dead..... Just curious what other DIY'ers are using in place of the green oem stuff (D-154-103-A1)
I've used the ultra black rtv with no issue. It's great stuff, use sparingly on the cam covers. Good to 500 degrees.

roukyweal20

I believe I used PTX Ultra Copper. The key is to use a thin bead, and let it cure for a little bit before assembly. If it makes you feel better, after it's all put together, take it apart again, and see how much (if any) has squeezed out inside the valve cover. Clean it up, reapply in a way that will Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin minimize that squeeze out, reassemble, wipe excess from the outside, and let it cure overnight. Ride, check for leaks, change the oil and filter in a couple hundred miles (if it makes you feel even better), and you should be just fine.

Last edited:

flight1us

Ready to race!
someone mentioned thisRTV here on the forums great stuff nothing against permatex they are my close second when it comes to sealants