GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much do you LOVE your Golf R? HELP!

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
I’m kicking around the thought of getting an R maybe MK6 but most likely MK7, but am on the fence about a few things. I have been lusting after an R for a couple years.

I currently own a 2011 GTI and love it. The versatility and practicality of it is awesome. I’m not making a ton of power but the traction is limited even now.The hatch aspect is perfect for what I need for camping, biking, dog, people hauling, active lifestyle etc.

I also own a 1999 Corvette C5 that resides in the garage most of the time. I have moved to Austin and rarely drive the Vette seeing how everything is so close. I work from home so “enjoying” the commute to work is nonexistent. I have had my Vette for 11 years and feel like it’s time to move on.
I am debating selling my Vette and trading in/selling my GTI to have one Golf R.

The question is, will the R fill the performance aspect void that I will have if I sell my Vette? (Different animals, I know) After a few mods, I’m sure the speed and handling will be more than enough. What do you love/hate about your R??

wolverines_fan83

Ready to race!
This is just my opinion but you'll probably love owning an R more than a C5 vette. Especially if your vette is just sitting in the garage. It sounds like you already love your GTI, the R is even more enjoyable. Good luck whatever your decision is.

gdub09

Ready to race!
R's are awesome but you can put a few bucks into your GTI if you sell the Vette and have R performance minus 4mo. But I've driven a few MK7 Rs and they are addicting.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Where I used to live (northern suburbs of IL) everything was so spread out so I got a decent chance to drive it. Speed bumps were nonexistent and there very few curbs/ramps into places. Seems like I scrape on everything out here with the Vette so parking lot driving is annoying. If I sold the Vette, I would definitely want an R.

t'sGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2013 R and love it.
Great traction compared to the 2011 GTI that I had.
Very good in the wet and snow (which won't apply to you) and no spinning
front wheels on take off.

The new ones are even better with more power etc.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
yeah I am leaning towards a 2016 at the moment. In then next 6 months or so I will start looking pretty hard at them but realize I need to be patient if I want it spec'd out the way I like.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Buy the R and if you don't like it sell it. Life is short......if youre a car guy and appreciate the performance than youll enjoy it.

SpecterXP

I bought a R in November and it was totaled in January. I flew the El Paso Texas to buy another. I will not go back to FWD for performance. I personally like the MK6 better than the MK7 as far as looks go. The MK7 has more creature comforts but that's not enough to sway me from the MK6. It doesn't take much to get the MK6 to be better than the MK7.

The one thing that stands out to me about the MK7 is Android Auto and CarPlay. PeterDNA solved that problem for the MK6 so it's a no brainer to stick with the MK6 in my opinion.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

CharT99

I have a Mk6 4dr Golf R with Stage 1 tune and a stock C7 Grand Sport. I drive the Golf way more and enjoy it on a daily basis. The Corvette has competition seats and feels more special than the Golf. The NA motor feels totally different than the turbo motor and the V8 sound is in it's own league. For pure driving excitement, I vote for the Corvette.

However, if I was forced to keep only one car, I'd keep the Golf R and sell the 'Vette.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Golf R :23: Corvette

I recently sold my 996 C4S, and driving my Son's Golf and modding it, while he is at school, I've been asking myself the same questions. I've driven both MK6 and MK7s Golf Rs but I keep going back to the Audi TTRS.

None of these cars are what I'm used to, (meaning, some natural rear rotation cornering fast) but I think TTRS with a good rear bar would be livable. Ford Focus RS is great too, if you like the looks of it.

Just Saying... .

Last edited:

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Just saw the latest reply...

UPDATE: Picking up a 2017 Golf R tomorrow. I have to list my Vette soon so any suggestions on selling websites etc is appreciated.

Traded in the GTI and am anxiously waiting tomorrow to get here sooner than later!

Golfr20

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought a R in November and it was totaled in January. I flew the El Paso Texas to buy another. I will not go back to FWD for performance. I personally like the MK6 better than the MK7 as far as looks go. The MK7 has more creature comforts but that's not enough to sway me from the MK6. It doesn't take much to get the MK6 to be better than the MK7.

The one thing that stands out to me about the MK7 is Android Auto and CarPlay. PeterDNA solved that problem for the MK6 so it's a no brainer to stick with the MK6 in my opinion.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
What is the PeterDNA car play system? I need this for my mk6 R

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Giff92374

Just traded a 2016 Focus RS for a 2019 Golf R. Having achieved "old fart" status (82), I appreciate the more civilized hot hatch. The ride is noticeably less harsh. The DSG is a surrender (after 13 sticks) recognition that I can no longer out shift or equal the mileage of an automatic. Only 800 miles so far, but enough to conclude that the R has more than sufficient performance capability to keep this old driver smiling.

TALON AE

Ready to race!
What is the PeterDNA car play system? I need this for my mk6 R

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PeterDNA is a guy. He offers a MIB2 retrofit kit for mk6 platforms. It’s expensive but a really nice OEM+ solution.

He also offers a couple of other really nice OEM+ options. I got an alcantara-wrapped steering wheel from him a few years back that I absolutely love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk