GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jack?

Korydogg

Ready to race!
What kind of jack do you use when working on your car? Do you use ramps?

This is my first car.....up until now I have always had lifted trucks and jeeps so I have always used a bottle jack. So if you could suggest some floor jacks that would be pretty cool.

Also, what are you guys using as far as jack stands? What capacity do we need for these cars? Everything I have is pretty heavy duty and is prolly too big.

....sorry if this seems apparent. I am a "few" beers deep lol

ahard48

Ready to race!
I have been using a Pittsburgh 2.5 ton low profile jack from Harbor Freight. Lowered 24" FTG and no ramps needed.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I tried ramps. I hated them.

I use a jack and stand kit I bought at advanced probably over 10 years ago and it's worked great for me. The only problem is I can't get the jack under the pinch weld in the front so I have to lift it a little bit with the widowmaker, and then I can slide my jack under.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I have ramps & couple of nice floor jacks. One is a Harbor Freight 1.5 ton & the other is a Craftsman 2 ton, both have been very good & given me know problems in the 10 years or so I've had them. The Harbor Freight one is light enough to put in the back of the car when I'm on a long trip.

I also have a set of jack stands, but I'm not sure of the maker. For things like oil changes the ramps work well. I also used them for the rear swaybar install.

The OEM jack would only be used in an emergency.

gdub09

Ready to race!
I've got harbor freight 1.5 ton and a Husky 2.5 ton jack and a 2 ton set of stands from Advance

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input everyone....I was considering getting ramps but I think I might go with a low profile floor jack and call it a day. There is a harbor freight by my house and I might stop by there and wee what they have. I usually try and opt for the best quality tools I can afford just for longevity's sake but we'll see. The craftsman stuff is usually pretty good but obviously more expensive.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Best jack for the money:

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...vy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62326.html

If you get their flyer, sometimes it's on sale for $80 or $85 too

I tried ramps. I hated them.

I use a jack and stand kit I bought at advanced probably over 10 years ago and it's worked great for me. The only problem is I can't get the jack under the pinch weld in the front so I have to lift it a little bit with the widowmaker, and then I can slide my jack under.

See above...a low profile jack will solve all your problems :thumbsup:

CHerna

Ready to race!
I thought I would be in the minority with a harbor freight jack. Yeah, that little bastard has been good to me.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i use ramps for oil changes.
And i have a 2.5 ton floor jack and jack stands if im actually doing any work under the car. im not sure the brand is probably harbor freight(i know the jack stands are HF).

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the input everyone....I was considering getting ramps but I think I might go with a low profile floor jack and call it a day. There is a harbor freight by my house and I might stop by there and wee what they have. I usually try and opt for the best quality tools I can afford just for longevity's sake but we'll see. The craftsman stuff is usually pretty good but obviously more expensive.

Don't forget the jack stands.

Craftsman stuff is not of the quality it once was. They used to have their tools made by Crescent in the USA. Now all their tools come from the tool factory in China.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Don't forget the jack stands.

Craftsman stuff is not of the quality it once was. They used to have their tools made by Crescent in the USA. Now all their tools come from the tool factory in China.

I agree, craftsmen really went downhill. I bought an extended flex head ratchet a few months ago. Thing is garbage, I bought it knowing it wasn't a super fine tooth ratchet but I expected a lot more from it. It has so much play that it's barely useable. Going to toss it in the trash and cut my losses and frustration. matco has some really nice ratchets.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
that pittsburgh one linked from harbor freight can be bought for like $70 today from the presidents day sale, i may just go get one.

my crasftman jack i got a few months ago sucks horribly. its so small, ye tbarely gets under my pinchwelds. only goes about 15" off the ground which i found out is hardly enough to get a jackstand underneath.