GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Downpipe.....new host of problems

Thumper

Autocross Champion
After re-assembling everything I plugged in VAGCOM to run the throttle body alignment which is supposedly needed after anytime the battery is disconnected. Mine was disconnected for about a week. Followed the instructions on Ross-tech but the GO button was greyed out, and so was the BASIC SETTINGS button. On the right of the screen it stated the alignment was "OK".

I bit my fingernails and started the car. Started fine, SAI started sucking as it does, ect. So that's weird, but so far no problem.

Start with the most concerning.

Problem #1

Now I notice my dash lights, as in the flashing ones. :D ESC is solid, tire pressure is flashing and then I notice the steering wheel icon is solid.

Run an autoscan and have attached that here. Only fault that it shows is the tire pressure monitor. I figure it just needs to relearn the tire circumference or whatever so I hold the set button, doesn't do anything. Cycled the key several times, turned the car on and off about 4 or 5 times. Nothing. I manually delete the fault codes and they instantly come back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BJ HW: 1K0 907 379 BJ
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0121
Revision: 00H31001
Coding: 114B600C492400FC881206E6921E0041B70800
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 7BDB2F73FAFE411

1 Fault Found:
01325 - Control Module for Tire Pressure Monitoring (J502)
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 125
Mileage: 8435 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2009.14.10
Time: 00:29:43

Freeze Frame:
Count: 2
Count: 2
Count: 12288
Count: 16390
Count: 43264
Count: 0
Count: 511
Count: 0

So the ESC and steering wheel light stay on, but the only fault is the TPS, I am sure they work together but still, TPS fault shouldn't error out the traction control!!

Found this on Ross-tech;

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01325

But didn't want to dive right into recoding yet, wanted some advise. Anyone else ever have this happen? I mean, I'm not the first one to leave the battery disconnected for a week am I? :D

Problem #2

Strange noises.

Now, it's been a while since I drove the car or was under the hood while it was running. The constant clacking noise is that normal? LOL

Now, the ticking noise. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak (I re-used the metal gasket at the turbo which I read you can and I got all the bolts for the flange tight and went in a pattern). But then the ticking stopped.......but then it started again. And you can hear it inside the cabin though it sounds like a rattle. It's definitely coming from the engine compartment.

On a plus note, the auto windows relearned themselves after one try :rolleyes:

Uberryan

Banned
Did you drive around? The lights will clear if you take it around the block.

twistid

Ready to race!
Word, I unhooked my battery to install my amplifier. When I reconnected everything I got ESC lights and the dash actually said "ESC System Disabled" I freaked out , but when I took it for a drive everything went away ;)

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Did you drive around? The lights will clear if you take it around the block.

Word, I unhooked my battery to install my amplifier. When I reconnected everything I got ESC lights and the dash actually said "ESC System Disabled" I freaked out , but when I took it for a drive everything went away ;)

Nope, I didn't want to risk blowing it up. ;)

That was my first thought, drive it around and have it reset. But I have been wrong before so I wanted to be safe.

Any ideas on those noises? I want to say they are normal but I just can't remember......

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Sounds normal. may also clear after driving around, though. You say you haven't driven the car for over a week?

Downpipe might be amplifying any exhaust manifold ticks and clicks too.

Yeah, probably closer to two weeks. I jacked it up two weeks ago to make sure I could follow plac's video and felt confident I could handle the project. I then started disassembly and removed the stock DP last saturday, and then installed the new DP last Sunday but could not complete reassembly of the battery and intake and was then sent out of town last week. Got home late last night and first thing this morning I completed reassembly and started it up.

So, the lights cleared after I went 30 feet LOL...awesome, thanks guys.

I drove it about 2 miles, hard to tell any immediate performance gains from butt dyno, does sound nice though, just a little louder than stock actually. It does smell when you stand behind it a bit, not bad, but noticeable. Windows down and radio off, got a small scent of the exhaust at the first stop light, but then nothing at the second one. Got back to the house and popped the hood and the ticking is gone it seems. There was a bit of smoke from the back of the engine, I am guessing it is the spray I used on the bolts which got all over stuff back there as I missed a few times :rolleyes: I noticed the bottle states it doesn't evaporate and it sticks to the material to provide rust inhibition....so I'll keep my eye on it and see if it eventually stops.

I'll go for a longer drive tomorrow and with all the other issues seemingly sorted, I'll pay closer attention to the sound. Did seem to have a nice deep growl under acceleration, but still quite at cruise.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm I'm 99% sure my tuner did not disconnect my battery or remove my intake. I watched the whole process and everything was done under the car

P

plac

you don't run TBA's on 2012's. (or maybe even MK6's). It does a TBA every time you turn off the car.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
The ticking is normal. Its the HPFP. Mine sounds exactly the same with in OEM and stage 1 modes.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hmmm I'm 99% sure my tuner did not disconnect my battery or remove my intake. I watched the whole process and everything was done under the car

After doing it yeah I can see how you could, maybe. But the guides and videos I found did not show it that way. :iono:

you don't run TBA's on 2012's. (or maybe even MK6's). It does a TBA every time you turn off the car.

I knew it ran on start up on shutdown automatically, but people seem to like to run it anyway. Better safe than sorry I guess.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Really? I don't think I have that ticking and I don't think a Stage 1 tune will cause that ticking to happen as well...

do not want

We have some meets here on LI with 10-20 GTIs showing up. They all sound this way.
Some are tuned some are not. It's a normal sound. We all listened to each other motors with hoods open with the same concerns. After hearing the ticking in all the motors we were relieved. The sound sometimes gets louder as if cycling through a check or some sort. This lasts for less than a minute at a time.
Check YouTube, quite a few videos posted with the same sound and concerns.