GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low front bumper clearance

AntGTIMKVI

Anyone experience scraping their front bumper on a curb or whatever yet? I scratched the bottom of mine slightly this past weekend when parking next to a sidewalk. I'm always so careful, but I slipped up....I got so pissed at myself! Ordered some touch up paint from the dealer. I'm thinking this won't be the last time it happens so it might be a good excuse to eventually swap out for the euro bumper in the future.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Price of driving a sports car, haha.

Got used to it... made the car's short length an asset, as I can stop further from the curb and still be completely in the parking spot.

Ryephile

Passed Driver's Ed
On a curb?! What're you doing beaching the car like that? To me the GTI has a boatload of ground clearance, but I'm used to being thankful for 1.6" of ground clearance my MINI has. The GTI has 5" of clearance, which will clear most obstacles on the road, but it's no SUV, so keep away from those parking curbs!

kmshultz

Man, that stinks... I did this a couple times with my last car and the last time it was bad enough that the bumper came partially off on one side when I pulled back off the curb - I felt so stupid.

Ever since I paid that body shop bill I always pull way short on curbs now, heh. At least in your situation all you need is touch up paint - you won't make the mistake again! :thumbsup:

AntGTIMKVI

I typically don't park anywhere near curbs, but I just got the windows tinted and wanted to park it outside in the sun to cure. We were experiencing some nice weather. I would have parked it in the garage otherwise. I barely scraped the curb/sidewalk and when I backed off it didn't even rub again. It's very small, but even the slightest scratch or chip I can't stand!

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
I drunkenly curb rash'd my 18" detroits (THAT I HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS ABOUT DOING) on Saturday... needless to say I got wicked mad and then proceeded to get obliterated at the bar!!! Ahhhhh!!! It sucks when you get those first rash/dings/scratches. DAMN YOU CURBS!!!! :mad0259:

artinmoTTion

Passed Driver's Ed
ummm..

..scratched the Detroits while drinking, so...fixed that by even more drinking?

VWoA is coming to take your keys back.

Sorry for your loss, and hoping for no greater ones for you or anyone else!

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Grats on drunk driving, be thankful it was only your wheels.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
Anyone experience scraping their front bumper on a curb or whatever yet? I'm thinking this won't be the last time it happens so it might be a good excuse to eventually swap out for the euro bumper in the future.

Keep in mind the euro bumper is even lower than the american one, vis a vis the lip .....

zee

Go Kart Champion
I suspect this is the reason why VW did not include the lip for North America. Mine would have been destoryed by now. Although, I have now learnt to park further back from the curb as the GTI has a short length. The lip will be installed this summer.

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't got the bumper, but got something else

Those 18" Detroit wheels hang out from the car a bit and I got a little scratch parallel parking. :( I also get a done of crud on the the side of the car during rain and snow because of their hanging out so far. Those swollen fenders, ala STI or Audi UrQ would work well for that.