GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire size

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
I can't recall my current tire size but my rims are 18x8.5 et45. They currently poke out a bit and bottom out (scrape) on dips. I rolled my fenders but they still scrape. Looking to get a new set of tires. What size would I need so they would be flush and not scrape.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
225/40/18 is usually the go to tire size on the 18x8.5 and clears.
It could depend on the brand of tires, since some run bigger/chunkier

Worst case, go down to a 215/40/18

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
That's the size they are 225/40/R18. They are "ovation" tires. Prob China not to sure. Maybe that's why they poke. I don't think I'm that low

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
215 is too narrow for an 8.5” wheel - 225 is the minimum, and even that’s pushing it. 235 or 245 is ideal for that width.

What’s the wheel offset? Have you done the fender screw mod?

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Yup did the fender screw mod and got the fenders rolled. It's either et45 or et55. Is there a way to tell on the rim? I'm trying to find the paperwork but still can't find it.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, the wheel specs are cast on the inside of the wheel. Either on one of the spokes or on the mounting face. If they're ET45 with the fender screw mod and rolled and it's still rubbing, the expensive option is higher offset wheels. The cheaper option is to have the fenders pulled.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Yeah, the wheel specs are cast on the inside of the wheel. Either on one of the spokes or on the mounting face. If they're ET45 with the fender screw mod and rolled and it's still rubbing, the expensive option is higher offset wheels. The cheaper option is to have the fenders pulled.

I will look tonight when I get home from work. Maybe the guy that rolled my fenders didnt do a good job as I have never had to roll my fenders on my other cars that were lowered. I watched him do it, he had a machine (it was blue) that he put on the studs and heated up the paint and then rolled them. But I remember he didnt roll the top of the fender(like 12 o clock)..more to the side (like 10 o clock) if that makes sense.