GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon cleaning done, still high rpm misfires... ideas?

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Thread & info is here, as well as how to inspect/check:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...SI-K04-MED17.5.2-Misfire-Issue-(GLI-CC-Passat)

Oh that's actually really easy to check, just pull the PCV plate off and have a looksee. I'll probably do that next time I'm under the hood just so that I know.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Thank you! I wanted to be done with all engine mods before the little guy arrives as I won't have time to get underneath it...as much...but this pesky misfire irks me. I would say a solid 75% of the times at WOT in 4rth gear I get a misfire or two. The other times I get a solid kick ass pull.
I installed a new O2 sensor with the K04 install. My readings during the same misfire log at WOT started off at 0.94 and by the end of the pull it held steady at 0.84 from 4,000-5840 rpm.

Plug gap? If it's more of a minor misfire I'd pursue the normal misfire resolution items, particularly plug gap down to 0.024" or less. OP's car is completely falling on its face at 5500 RPM on the dot, but it's possible that your car could get worse over time, so checking the valve springs is a good idea.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
Plug gap? If it's more of a minor misfire I'd pursue the normal misfire resolution items, particularly plug gap down to 0.024" or less. OP's car is completely falling on its face at 5500 RPM on the dot, but it's possible that your car could get worse over time, so checking the valve springs is a good idea.

Gapping the plug to 0.024 was the first thing I did when I detected a misfire but it didn’t help. Just yesterday I properly cleaned the maf and now I have no hesitation at any rpm and high rpm misfires are gone. Finally I can stop working on the car and start enjoying it!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Gapping the plug to 0.024 was the first thing I did when I detected a misfire but it didn’t help. Just yesterday I properly cleaned the maf and now I have no hesitation at any rpm and high rpm misfires are gone. Finally I can stop working on the car and start enjoying it!

Ahhh a good 'ol dirty MAF. I used to get those all the time on my Mk4 since the cold air intake sat right in front of the drivers side tire. Used to get wet every time it rained hard... I became a pro at cleaning them lol.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Hah that reminds me, I need to clean my air filter and my MAF... These cars sure are finicky.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Hahaha I'm definitely there some days. Feels like the car just wakes up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes and pulls like a freight train other times.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Changed pcv today, still looking at picking up a new GTI or... if I could fgind the right price, an S3 or S4... but also the mk8 isn't too far away will a power bump to 260 or more hp from what I've read. Either way, I could only see 2 springs which were marked. 1 light blue, 1 looked light green, no yellow or red, so idk wth that means... if anything.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I'll be swapping out my PCV soon too and doing this exact check. I hope mine aren't weak springs but it seems like 2011's got the short end of the stick.

I want k04 powa this time next year!