GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" wheels on R?

krische

vdubber in training
I have a GTI now, but I could always see myself getting an R in a couple years. If I were to get 17" wheels for the GTI, would those fit on the R? Or would I have to get 18"?

SuperBeaver

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, I have the same question, and as I understand 18th are minimum for R.... But may be I am wrong.

Sandok

Passed Driver's Ed
As said earlier, yes, 17" will fit on the R ;)

Here are pics for proof!

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Most OEM VW 17s will fit on the R series (both MKV and MKVI); some aftermarkets will fit as well, but not all will.

krische

vdubber in training
So would 17" wheels on an R still use 225/45-17 tires?

ricnet.se

Passed Driver's Ed
You should never mix dimensions on an R because of the 4 wheel drive. You will destroy it. So if you want your seventeens from your gti to your R be sure to get new tires so the diameter is the same or you'll have your car broken down...

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
The Haldex can accomodate up to about 3% variation between front and rear diameters, so if one pair of tires is worn a bit more than the other it isn't going to grenade the Haldex.

Also, several MKV .:R owners have been running staggered setups for some time without issue; so minor diameter variations aren't going to kill you ;)

SuperBeaver

Passed Driver's Ed
Good news, in winter for my city 17th are better, but will agree that it looks not as good as 18th or higher...

ricnet.se

Passed Driver's Ed
Do as you please, don't trust a forum cause everybody has a different opinion...