GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interrupted Starts

Carbon-13

Ready to race!
I've had my 2013 R now for a little over a year, roughly 7500 miles, and it has been relatively problem free. I have noticed on 4 or 5 separate occasions that when trying to start the car and pushing the start button, I will get what I would describe as an 'interrupted start', meaning that the starter engages and starts to turn the engine over and then nothing...it all goes dead, like a dead battery. Push again and it starts right up.

First time it happened I thought maybe I took my foot off the clutch or released the button prematurely, but that is not the case. Now I am thinking a bad safety switch or ignition switch or just some weird glitch.

Is this the first anyone has heard of this type of problem on the Golf, or is there a known cause that I just have not been able to pin down while doing searches on the VW boards out there?

Thanks in advance!
Tom

CandywhiteTSi1

This has happened to me on several occasions as well, but never made it a point to bring it in to get looked at.. Perhaps when I get my next service done..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rich_raquel

Passed Driver's Ed
It has happened to me as well; at times it will take the car a bit longer to turn over and start than others. Will be bringing it up w/ VW when I get my 10k service done.

It's been occurring before I've done any modding. I've been w/ UM's stage 2 tune since 7k and currently sitting at 8.5k.

Carbon-13

Ready to race!
Good to know (I suppose) that I am not the only one experiencing it. I guess it would have been important for me to note as well that other than a Carbonio intake, the engine and programming is unmodified. My first service date is approaching in a few days so I guess it is something that I can bring up.

liljonny16

Ready to race!
While this is highly unlikely, I would say check the battery terminals. They could be a little loose or dirty.

~slick~

Passed Driver's Ed
I seen a few cases it was cause by a weak switch. If you push the start button harder in the middle not to the side it will have a better contact and you shouldn't see that problem again.

plumpzz

Ready to race!
I always figured it was a temporary loss of communication between the key and the kessy reciever. The voltage on the terminal has always been solid and all i had to do was hit the ignition a second time. Its frustrating more than anything else.

Carbon-13

Ready to race!
I just had an interesting variation happen to me just now upon returning home from work.
I went to shut the car off, pressed the button, the engine began to shut off and just before it was completely off it restarted on it's own (my finger was off the button well before this).

It was seamless when it happened. Very odd.

spikernum1

Ready to race!
OP - This is very likely normal.

I have no mods and this has happened to me since day 1. I'd say it happens once a month.

I'm not very concerned... I asked my buddy who works at VW and he said it is common with the push to start ignitions, but there is no negative effects.

I just had an interesting variation happen to me just now upon returning home from work.
I went to shut the car off, pressed the button, the engine began to shut off and just before it was completely off it restarted on it's own (my finger was off the button well before this).

It was seamless when it happened. Very odd.
i've encountered this once or twice before as well. but i remember that i had to press the start/stop button to stop the engine, and then accidentally tapped it again milliseconds after... the engine skipped a beat but then kept going like nothing happened.