GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 shifter help. Cant get stock shifter off.

RaV$

Ready to race!
I have everything apart. The stock will not come off. Any tips?

there will be a metal bracket i believe put a flat head in between to loosen it it should pull right off. you will have to use the same bracket after tighten with pliers

RaV$

Ready to race!
Ill give it a go tomorrow. I was prying pretty damn hard and it wouldn't budge.

its hard to get off to begin with you have to bend that metal piece to open more it will come out eventually

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
i would assume he is talking about the f to b shift arm on top of the trans if so you have to put it in neutral where it freely moves up and down and just keep yanking up using your arms as a slap hammer mine came right off after about 7 or 8 slaps

DDKing13

Ready to race!
i would assume he is talking about the f to b shift arm on top of the trans if so you have to put it in neutral where it freely moves up and down and just keep yanking up using your arms as a slap hammer mine came right off after about 7 or 8 slaps

Yeah definitely make sure it's in neutral and locked in the home position. If not, it WILL NOT come off.

CobraKing

Ready to race!
You don't want it locked because you need the movement to help you get it off

Gonna second Ginzo here and say that you DO NOT want to lock the transmission. Put the car in neutral, engage handbrake, remove the nut locking the shifter in place then push down on the lever and pull up firmly - similar to compressing a spring and releasing. On the fourth try it came right off, no need for WD40.

When re-installing your new shifter, make sure you mark the larger groove with a marker so that it's easy to re-install.

Good luck!

03SVTCobra

It is in neutral and wont come off with the battery terminal puller. The puller actually bent. I shot it with wd40 last night its been soaking since then.