GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie Here

TaHoE

Hey folks!

Just picked up this new (to me) '14 GTI Wolfsburg. I'm new to VW and absolutely love the way she drives. She's currently stock. I am up for some lights mods, but nothing to outrageous. Was curious if you guys had any suggestions on where to start. Appreciate all your help!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Welcome! Are you looking for performance mods?

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Welcome!

Most folks would suggest going Stage 1. However, I'm not most, and I'd recommend starting with some Coilovers! A much lower ride height really brings out the sportiness of the GTI.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
Stage 1, R8 coil packs and a DV+ should be a good start.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Stage 1 tune for APR/Unitronic/Revo/Cobb would be a good start. BUT! be warned that usually when going stage 1 software your stock coilpacks tend to go (replace with audi R8, red top, coil packs) and if you are a manual 6-speed (not DSG) driver then your clutch may begin to slip. Its hit or miss with the clutch but when I went stage 1... a week later mine slipped. Others have gone 40k+ miles without it slipping. If you are a manual owner and want more performance... start to save for a new clutch; you will need it. Could grab a cold air intake as well but it is not required for stage 1 tune.

Your is a 2014 so your timing chain tensioner is probably the new revision which is good. The intake manifolds tend to break and are covered under warranty till 120k miles I believe. Water pump also tends to go, mine was covered by a recall and replaced free of charge.

Be on the lookout for a carbon cleaning, not sure how many miles you have but direct injection engines tends to need a good carbon cleaning on the intake valves after a lot of miles.

zrickety

The Fixer
Stage 1 and you'll be really happy. Even if the clutch starts to slip, just ease off the gas it will last. These cars are really some of the best out there.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I am up for some lights mods, but nothing to outrageous

Everyones famous words lol. You definitly need at least stage 1. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Get some R8 red top coil packs as a percaution. Personally, I dont think the DV+ is necessary, especially on a 2014 which will have the piston style dv. Whether it be springs or coils, Id lower the car a little. LED tail lights are also a must have.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Best light mod is k04 or larger.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Stage 1, R8 coil packs and a DV+ should be a good start.

+2.

Only addition is what others are saying - lower it a bit. I have Koni coils, I'm only lowered a bit but really like the drastic increase in performance. If I was on a budget or spent my budget on the aforementioned performance parts, get a pair of sport springs with a mild drop, that will help quite a bit.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie