GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 vs Stage 2 pro's and con's - worth it?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I've been stage I, then to stage II and then back to stage I with my MK6. For me, I like the maturity of stage I (blame it on my mid 30's lol) but added a quiet intake (Modshack) and it gave a little bump in power without the loudness of the downpipe. It's quick, it's torquey, and it's quiet. Perfect combo for my needs - 6 years and going strong on my GTI, not sure I will ever move on from it, lol

Thanks for this thread for reminding me there is a 1+ tune though.. I might take advantage when I suck up the $50 install at the local shop...................

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Why do you need new mounts? Realistically OEM mounts are perfectly fine, however i do recommend upgrading your dog bone mount if you haven't done it yet.

I didn't get rid of wheelhop until I added motor mounts. A dogbone upgrade just wasn't enough.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
I've been stage I, then to stage II and then back to stage I with my MK6. For me, I like the maturity of stage I (blame it on my mid 30's lol) but added a quiet intake (Modshack) and it gave a little bump in power without the loudness of the downpipe. It's quick, it's torquey, and it's quiet. Perfect combo for my needs - 6 years and going strong on my GTI, not sure I will ever move on from it, lol

Thanks for this thread for reminding me there is a 1+ tune though.. I might take advantage when I suck up the $50 install at the local shop...................

What do you mean by 'loundness'

my understanding is there isn't that big of a difference in loudness?
I am planning on going Stage 2 and don't want any more loundness :p

Which downpipe did ya go with?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I didn't get rid of wheelhop until I added motor mounts. A dogbone upgrade just wasn't enough.

Oh i see, dog bone mount got rid of all of my wheel hop.

how is stage 2 not worth it? Do you not like top end?

Depends on someones preference i suppose.

Top end power wasn't worth it for me. I dont really wind out the car, so the lower end/mid torque is better for me.

Honestly, i didn't plan on going stage 2, one day my dog bone snapped and put a hole in my factory down pipe. So i ended up buying a catless ebay downpipe as a replacement.

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
Hey, Im in Abbotsford and have the newest revision of the GFB DV+ if you want it for $150 CAD, used it for less than 1000kms, didnt agree with my Unitronic tune, but I kind of knew that before getting it.

Anyways lemme know if you're interested.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Thanks a lot guys, too many to shout out but I've read all and really appreciate the responses.

It seems like unless you have deeper pockets and want to spend a good amount of cash on the GTI it may not be worth it going stage 2 considering about $1500 to get me there then another $2000 if the clutch goes.

Thinking I will stay stage 1, get an intake and one of the diverter valves you all have mentioned, put the rest of the money into a clutch fund should mine start to slip. When and if it does, go stage 2 at that time as I already have the downpipe. That way I'm not upgrading a perfectly (for now) working clutch and gets me a bit better squared away financially for future power mods. Might upgrade the mounts and definitely get a dogbone mount sooner than later.

Hopefully this thread can answer some questions for the rest of the people considering it.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Get OEM filters and use rotella T6, it's better, it lasts longer and there's plenty of oil analysis to prove it's ability to stand up to heat.

Thanks! Rotella T6 5w40? That would make life easier than Mobil 1 as Mobil comes in a 4.4L jug up here where the T6 comes in a 5L jug. Plus it's cheaper! I've always really liked the Rotella line up.

Also, with stratified I would need to have a Cobb Accessport?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

That is correct. You'd be rebuying a new tune all over again. If you aren't having issues with APR I'm not sure it's really worth it. I had an apr stage 2 tune I wasn't happy with so I switched to stratified and love it. Might be hard to justify if you aren't having any issues with APR though. If you don't have something like the p3cars gauge or a vagcom the cobb really comes in handy though and that'll help make the purchase worth it.

FriggenT1

Banned
Thanks! Rotella T6 5w40? That would make life easier than Mobil 1 as Mobil comes in a 4.4L jug up here where the T6 comes in a 5L jug. Plus it's cheaper! I've always really liked the Rotella line up.

Yep, that's the stuff.