GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Properly Timing a CCTA 2.0 TSI Engine in a MK6 GTI

Mimog3

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys, sorry to sound like a noob but I'm doing my first timing chain on this engine and have done timing belts on civics and a 2001 jetta once. I just want to confirm that I'm doing the job correctly.

I messed up taking apart the timing chain assembly and the chain has jumped and all that stuff. i want to properly time the engine and make sure that i don't bend valves when starting the engine.

So i have the camshafts lined up and have the crankshaft at TDC, the arrow is pointing at 12 o clock on the camshaft sprocket. but I'm wondering how to match up the blue link on the sprocket. i don't see any marks other than the TDC mark. am i supposed to line up the blue link to the TCD mark somehow which doesn't seem possible or just set at TDC (12 o clock) and just put the chain as is without any marks indicating that blue link since the piston is at TDC?

Thanks again and sorry for sounding like a noob. This is my first owned VW and want to make sure i do everything to the book.

Reason I'm asking is because the MK6 GTI i bought had a P0016. I have a new tensioner (K Suffix) and want to make sure everything is good. Engine has a 140k on it. should i also change the Timing Chain?

Mimog3

Passed Driver's Ed
it does have 3 colored links. but i don't see any markings other than the 12 o clock marking on the crankshaft sprocket all the way at the block. which is facing 12 o clock.nothing like the link you attached. or I'm blind and can't see it.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion

Mimog3

Passed Driver's Ed
Success everyone. The reason my timing marks seemed off was that the timing gear wasn't in the right orientation. it was mismatched to the crankshaft. I removed all the chains and reinstalled the timing gear and locked the gear in place with the special nylon spacer and put the crank at TDC. I then matched the chains up to the marks for the the balance shaft and timing. Oil pump doesn't need to be timed.

So far i've re-used the timing cover. its a pain to remove but start at the bottom and get a utility knife in there as well as a flat head. you will bend the cover a bit but using the right sealant will take car of the issue. I used "the right stuff" by permatex. So far so good.

Also for those who do not have triple square bits i used a T55 Torx bit on the engine mount bolts. No stripping and no play in the socket & bolt. I mainly jacked the engine up and down to get access to the bolts. there isn't enough space unless you have a short bit socket.

Only codes i have right now to tackle are a P2015 and P2187. P2187 was a new one so I'm thinking messing with the charge pipe flange on the turbo to gain access to the timing cover bolts might has something to do with it. i had trouble trying to get the rubber seal in place.