GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to get 2012 GTI w/convenience...need input please

ch0sen0ne7

Passed Driver's Ed
First and foremost, hello to all...I'm new but I've been lurking/doing research for the past couple of weeks

I am currently in a 99 accord sedan so the gti is a step up for me and I have my heart set on getting a 4 door manual with convenience package

so I went to the dealer today and apparently there is only one of the exact one i want in texas right now and it's not even at a dealership (it's at the port)

anyways...i'll try to make it short but here is what they were giving me

27880 MSRP
269xx invoice
289xx out the door

now am i crazy? bc i've seen people that have gotten a better otd price than that...granted they're in another state but i still feel i can get a better deal

bottom line...around what price should i be looking at out the door for that package? (sorry for the long read)

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Because taxes and fees vary by state, county, city etc. Asking us to give you an OTD price that means anything is difficult.

What is the selling price they're offering you?

ch0sen0ne7

Passed Driver's Ed
to be honest, we were trying to negotiate the otd price so i don't recall the selling price they gave...there were so many numbers being thrown but it was all written though...the thing is that since that car hasn't actually arrived to the port, they couldn't provide an invoice for it...the numbers he was giving was for a similar model but only a $100 difference...on top of that, they mentioned there were included fees for having to get that car to their dealership which we weren't really feeling

so what would be a target selling price to go by?

DSF767

Ready to race!
I would not negotiate the OTD price.

I just got my GTI yesterday what I did was go off the MSRP. Luckily I had a dealership close by who advertise awesome internet pricing but they low ball you on trades. so I showed the Dealer that I did buy my car with the price of the other dealership and then had them price match that price.

I think people around here are getting $2,000 - $3,000 off MSRP

Don't deal with OTD deal with MSRP then look at the fee's and negotiate on that. If you try to do it on OTD they will play with the numbers all day long.

Also that MSRP sounds a bit off I saw u were in Houston so I did a quick search and found this

http://www.jerseyvillagevw.com/new/...-Houston-10e7714b0a0d048e0183c12d3c990334.htm

on their website they are already showing 1K off the MSRP you would be able to negotiate at least another $1,000 don't listen to their BS about there being only one in the state its all part of the game just be firm and be willing to walk away and you should be fine

Last edited:

ch0sen0ne7

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the info...but can't they work the numbers either way? i've heard of dealers trying to sneak in fees after negotiating a price so it pretty much seems a double edged sword to me

and i was definitely ok with walking away...i just felt like i could get a better deal...this is honestly my first rodeo but i have my mom's fiance in my corner helping me out...and in the past few weeks i've been lurking, it seems like the members on these boards are really helpful and support eachother and i appreciate that

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Work off of MSRP. The only adds should be tax, whatever tag/title fees that may apply and a possible doc fee that should be no more than $150. Nothing else, pretty straight forward.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
thanks for the info...but can't they work the numbers either way? i've heard of dealers trying to sneak in fees after negotiating a price so it pretty much seems a double edged sword to me

It's harder to sneak fees in after you nail a negotiated MSRP down. Some dealers will still try, there are always the crooked dealers :)cough: :cough: Folsom Lake Dodge :cough: :cough: ).....but if you stay on your toes, and be prepared to walk away OR be prepared to pay anything because you want THAT car so badly....than you should do fine.

Also, play dealers off each other, get them fighting each other for your sale.

ch0sen0ne7

Passed Driver's Ed
got an update...another dealer said they would give me a good deal on the same car but it ended up selling that same day...so they gave me a good deal on a sunroof/navi package that they had on the lot

27,000 sale price
28,111 invoice
29,330 MSRP

i, personally, thought that was a damn good deal so i jumped on it...i was trying to get them to throw in tint but i'm not mad that they didn't since they were already working with me...finished all the paperwork and picked it up today :D i'm happy! and i was very pleased with the customer service...my salesman was very helpful and a straight shooter...made the buying experience so much better :thumbsup:

stevesf

got an update...another dealer said they would give me a good deal on the same car but it ended up selling that same day...so they gave me a good deal on a sunroof/navi package that they had on the lot

27,000 sale price
28,111 invoice
29,330 MSRP

i, personally, thought that was a damn good deal so i jumped on it...i was trying to get them to throw in tint but i'm not mad that they didn't since they were already working with me...finished all the paperwork and picked it up today :D i'm happy! and i was very pleased with the customer service...my salesman was very helpful and a straight shooter...made the buying experience so much better :thumbsup:

Congrats on your new car! I bought a 2012 GTI with the same setup as your last Sunday in the Pearl Black. I wanted the Carbon Steel Grey but they gave me a deal on the black one so I bought it. What color did you get?

ch0sen0ne7

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats on your new car! I bought a 2012 GTI with the same setup as your last Sunday in the Pearl Black. I wanted the Carbon Steel Grey but they gave me a deal on the black one so I bought it. What color did you get?

Thanks man! I got the United Gray...I initially was thinking of getting the black because I love how they look when they are clean...but then I started thinking how often I would have to wash it to keep it clean...in the end, I'm happy with the package and color I got

and congrats to you as well!! :D

Niebeendend

Ready to race!
I would not negotiate the OTD price.

I just got my GTI yesterday what I did was go off the MSRP. Luckily I had a dealership close by who advertise awesome internet pricing but they low ball you on trades. so I showed the Dealer that I did buy my car with the price of the other dealership and then had them price match that price.

I think people around here are getting $2,000 - $3,000 off MSRP

Do you mind if I ask which dealership you are talking about? I'm in the Boston area too.