GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI Squealing sound - not water pump

***********UPDATE: as suggested, it was the PCV separator (part bolted on top of valve cover) that was faulty and making that sound. Replaced it, sound gone and idle is smooth again.

Hey everybody, I could use a hand on what you may think this lovely sound is:

https://youtu.be/grVkJYJWZg4

Started yesterday as my fiancee was almost home. I initially thought it was the water pump, but replacing that did not affect it. Sound does not happen until engine reaches operating temperature. Yes there is oil in it.

120,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Additional notes: giving any throttle at all makes the sound go away, it seems to only happen at idle.

Idle is jumpy / rough - like a vacuum/boost leak. Worse before engine is up to temp. I double checked everything I took apart to change the water pump and everything appears snug. However at least two of the bolts that hold the intake manifold on to the head are loose and will not tighten - right as they feel like they are about to get snug they become loose again. Apparently when I changed my intake manifold 20,000 miles ago I damaged the threads? Is it possible this sound is being caused by the intake manifold not being tight, or do I just have two problems to worry about now?

loopless1

Ready to race!
Additional notes: giving any throttle at all makes the sound go away, it seems to only happen at idle.

Idle is jumpy / rough - like a vacuum/boost leak. Worse before engine is up to temp. I double checked everything I took apart to change the water pump and everything appears snug. However at least two of the bolts that hold the intake manifold on to the head are loose and will not tighten - right as they feel like they are about to get snug they become loose again. Apparently when I changed my intake manifold 20,000 miles ago I damaged the threads? Is it possible this sound is being caused by the intake manifold not being tight, or do I just have two problems to worry about now?
I had a sound somewhat like that when my PCV valve went bad.

thewheel

Ready to race!
Had the same thing the first and only winter I drove my car, seems to go away when warmer. Not too sure how cold it is where you are but that may be a factor.

I had a sound somewhat like that when my PCV valve went bad.

Interesting, I will have to look into that. There was a excessive amount of oil in the intake piping (way more than previous times I had them off) so I wouldn't be surprised if the PCV valve is shot.

Had the same thing the first and only winter I drove my car, seems to go away when warmer. Not too sure how cold it is where you are but that may be a factor.

Hmmm, was fine all winter well below freezing, and when it started on Friday it was in the 60s or 70s.

thewheel

Ready to race!
Interesting, im curious to know what i ends up being!

songyun

Ready to race!
belt ? im not sure.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Hey everybody, I could use a hand on what you may think this lovely sound is:

https://youtu.be/grVkJYJWZg4

Started yesterday as my fiancee was almost home. I initially thought it was the water pump, but replacing that did not affect it. Sound does not happen until engine reaches operating temperature. Yes there is oil in it.

120,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.

That's the PCV valve going bad, sounds like a loud squealing belt

Replaced PCV - or "seperator" as VW names the part - sound is gone, idle is normal, all seems well.

Thanks loopless and Calkulin.