GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to Buy 2012 GTI DSG. At what cost?

braveulysses

Passed Driver's Ed
My lease on my current car ends Labor Day weekend so I started to look for my car and have settled on a GTI. The dealer called me with a 2012 GTI 4 dr DSG with the convenience package. Only 21k miles in Candy White. They're asking for $19.9k in New York. My budget is $17k so I am going to try to get them as far down as possible.

I'm just curious though, I found a bunch of different prices depending on where I look i.i. KBB, NADA, edmunds... I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should realistically expect before tax and fees.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
19.9k sounds about right for that low mileage on a 2012 w/ DSG unfortunately, you may be able to get them down to 19, but that's about it, especially for a dealer. Maybe try looking for a bit higher mileage DSG?

braveulysses

Passed Driver's Ed
19.9k sounds about right for that low mileage on a 2012 w/ DSG unfortunately, you may be able to get them down to 19, but that's about it, especially for a dealer. Maybe try looking for a bit higher mileage DSG?

Maybe my next question is when do the mk6s typical run into popular issues? If I'm looking to keep the car for 5+ years I would be hesitant to purchase a 50k mile car.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
Hesitant to purchase a car with 50k? Wow must be nice. I bought my 2010 with 80k miles for $13,900 and haven't had any issues at all so far. I think the 2011+ models have a water pump problem but the dealer will warranty it and replace it for you if it ever starts leaking. It's intermittent though, so people lose water pumps at 10k, some go for 60k until it decides to poop out, some are still on the original one. Roll of the dice.

braveulysses

Passed Driver's Ed
Hesitant to purchase a car with 50k? Wow must be nice. I bought my 2010 with 80k miles for $13,900 and haven't had any issues at all so far. I think the 2011+ models have a water pump problem but the dealer will warranty it and replace it for you if it ever starts leaking. It's intermittent though, so people lose water pumps at 10k, some go for 60k until it decides to poop out, some are still on the original one. Roll of the dice.

I don't think its unreasonable for me to want a low mileage GTI given how a lot of people drive them and the shaky reliability I have heard about... Again I am new to GTI so maybe I just heard crap.

What I meant by my comments was that I have an opportunity to purchase a 20k mile gti for $19.5 as opposed to a 50k+ mile GTI let's say $15-16k. It might be just me but I'd rather take the lower mileage, pay a little more, and have a better idea of how the car was treated.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
A CarFAX can also be a good indication /shrug
Mine only had one owner before me and was meticulously maintained, hence why I wasn't scared of purchasing it with 80k. As far as shaky reliability I think that's hogwash, no vehicles are without their quirks and honestly I think the Golf/GTI is one of the better built cars on the road. If reliability is such a major concern you probably shouldn't be looking into forced induction.

colslaw87

Ready to race!
As long as the car has been maintained, I don't see mileage as a major issue with the GTI. From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be a connection between mileage and parts failing. Some GTI's right off the showroom floor have major reoccurring problems, while others go 80k+ with only regular maintenance. It's difficult to predict.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Is this car at a VW dealer? If so does it have a CPO warranty? A CPO gives you a nice warranty to fall back on if you have any problems. IMO buying low mileage is a good plan.

I bought my CPO 13 GTI base DSG 2 door with 20,000 miles this Feb in Indiana for $18.500. My thought is in winter prices tend to drop. Looking around now I see similar cars going for $20+. I think the one you mention would be good for $19,000.

Vegaslizardman

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought my 13' Wolfsburg GTI for $19.9k with 13.5k miles on it. I'm sure you can do a 12 with low miles for about 17-18k

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Listen to Vegas. I paid 19 before tax etc on a 2012 2dr manual GTI w/ convenience that had 15k miles, CPO warranty. I got that in '13.

Also two parts on the engine that WERE big problems no matter what mileage you are at have had factory warranties extended to 10 years/120k miles. Those being the intake manifold and the waterpumps. Your timing chain tensioner will be covered til 60k, which if it fails before then it'll be replaced with a revised part that seems to have actually solved the issue. Don't think it's too expensive to replace out of pocket if you pass 60k and it hasn't gone yet. Other than that, typical maintenance and you should be good.