GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: VW Golf R City Lights

crwchf505

So who has run this setup with side markers and city lights, non LED, and no coding? Bulb out error?

Coderedpl

Ready to race!
I have the updated the DIY quite a bit. Hopefully explained some stuff better, re-organized the steps as well to make it 'flow'.

So who has run this setup with side markers and city lights, non LED, and no coding? Bulb out error?
Why would you get one? You don't. As mentioned already.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
I have the updated the DIY quite a bit. Hopefully explained some stuff better, re-organized the steps as well to make it 'flow'.

Why would you get one? You don't. As mentioned already.

Nice.. I'm still trying to find blue bulbs for the city lights

Coderedpl

Ready to race!
Is there a certain size quick splice that should be used?

I forgot what size I used specifically but it was rather small, I've messed around before and used the bigger sizes too and they'll work as long as you get a good connect

Timo

Ready to race!
Did more googling. Looks like there are three standard sizes for these splices:
Red (16-22 Awg)
Blue (14-16 Awg)
Yellow (10-12 Awg)

I'll get the red ones as they seem to be the smallest.

whitegti6

Ready to race!
It's illegal to run blue/red lights on the front of your vehicle.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
It's illegal to run blue/red lights on the front of your vehicle.

Yea.. Well it's also illegal to have all 5 windows tinted, license plate covers, and no side markers, but I do.. SO yea don't really care about a $50 ticket once or twice a year.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Did more googling. Looks like there are three standard sizes for these splices:
Red (16-22 Awg)
Blue (14-16 Awg)
Yellow (10-12 Awg)

I'll get the red ones as they seem to be the smallest.

The wires in the headlight harness and the repair wire that I purchased from VW for this mod were very small, probably 20-24 awg, so there obviously isn't a large ammount of current being pulled through. Just look at the spec for the factory city light wedge bulb's wattage and do the math at 12VDC.. Especially if you're running an LED set they pull almost NOTHING.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
You're now my hero. What a rebel.

Haha I appreciate the sarcasm, but don't you think everyone on this site knows simple equipment laws? I bet 9/10 members here have at least one thing on their car that's "illegal" but I'm sure they never even get bothered, and if they did I bet no one put a gun to their head to do it in the first place. Just saying..

Now let's stop jacking this wonderful thread and all go back to our illegal business :threadjacked:

Cmilt

Just bought my R in May 2015... As I was jumping around the forum, I found this article. Prior to this DIY, I didn't even know these lights existed on the car... That being said, without a euro switch, could I simply draw power from the DRL so these light when the DRL are on and dim when the headlights are switched on, like the DRL?

I like the lights and think they look great, but I'm not interested in changing switches etc...

Thanks!

Coderedpl

Ready to race!
Just bought my R in May 2015... As I was jumping around the forum, I found this article. Prior to this DIY, I didn't even know these lights existed on the car... That being said, without a euro switch, could I simply draw power from the DRL so these light when the DRL are on and dim when the headlights are switched on, like the DRL?

I like the lights and think they look great, but I'm not interested in changing switches etc...

Thanks!
Yes it's possible. That's how I have mine setup. If you read the first post carefully you can see that part is mentioned.