GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Automatic transmission jerk

turbof128

Passed Driver's Ed
I was wondering if anyone has experienced a jerk when slowing down to a stop. It happened to my car the other night when I was almost at a complete stop. The car jerked as if I popped the clutch. And when accelerating, I noticed the transmission would sort of skip a gear and go into the next right away.

It happened the next day but the day after, it was back to normal.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I was wondering if anyone has experienced a jerk when slowing down to a stop. It happened to my car the other night when I was almost at a complete stop. The car jerked as if I popped the clutch. And when accelerating, I noticed the transmission would sort of skip a gear and go into the next right away.

It would sometimes happen to me in the 2.5, more in sport mode though. I never paid too much attention to it, though, as I was in warranty and I waited for lights or symbols to come onto the cluster or MFI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weakspecs

Ready to race!

it only jerks if I make it down shift in the tiptronic mode and its only from 2nd to 1st.
as for the acceleration that's pretty much normal as you must of been accelerating kind of hard and then when you reached your speed you let off so it just went into 6th.
and it doesn't seem like anything un usual. if I leave my car in drive 24/7 it is less sporty and will shift fine but because I have an exhaust im always in sport or triptonic mode lol

turbof128

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm hoping it was just bad gas since I had the light on. I drive like a grandma so i doubt the fast acceleration was the cause. Forgot to mention that the little wrench sign came on that night also but its gone now.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I'm hoping it was just bad gas since I had the light on. I drive like a grandma so i doubt the fast acceleration was the cause. Forgot to mention that the little wrench sign came on that night also but its gone now.

Take it to the dealership, I had the same little wrench sign in the MFI by the clock. They needed to do a re-code or a software update for the transmission or whatever. It came up and disappeared and then came up again for me.

If it's this symbol, take it in and they should fix it

turbof128

Passed Driver's Ed
I finally had time to bring it to the dealer. The TSB for this problem for anyone searching in the future is TSB# 01-14-23.

monkeyvirus

My 2013 2.5L was having the same symptoms, I took it to the dealer for the 20K mile service and they also did the flas, it fixed the problem, but now the jerking is back. I will have to take it back :(

Last edited:

dead_catz

Ready to race!
reviving old thread, is transmission jerk on the 2.5l that occurs more frequently as transmission heats up a valve body issue?

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
reviving old thread, is transmission jerk on the 2.5l that occurs more frequently as transmission heats up a valve body issue?

MAP sensor issue.
there was a small ECU update a while back. make sure you car has it. if not, it could be a sensor going bad. had that same problem where it would heat up and act jerky. then the transmission wrench would pop up on the MFD. they did the MAP update and it fixed everything

MAP sensor doesnt know what's going on so it sends mixed signals to the TCM therefore making it act up

dmmac95

Sometimes when your in trip mode and you down shift from 2nd to 1st the rpm stay decently high giving you a jerk in motion

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
you shouldn't be shifting from 2nd to 1st at all unless you're going up a super steep hill and 2nd won't take you up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk