GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Manifold replacement & Carbon Cleaning

colslaw87

Ready to race!
I went to the dealership for the 24AX ECM Software recall. This was mandatory in order to register my GTI in California this year.

After the Software update, the check engine light came on. Confirmed it was fault code P2015 Intake Manifold. I scheduled service a week later at the same dealership for the Intake Manifold replacement. I was ensured that this was covered under an extended warranty for just that part.

I asked the service manager if they could text me a photo of the Intake Ports before installing the replacement Intake Manifold. Since my GTI has 72k miles, I've had a hunch for a while now that carbon build-up could be the source of my rough cold starts and jerky throttle response. Since the Intake Manifold was being removed anyway, perfect time to see how bad the carbon build-up was. It wasn't TERRIBLE, but I figured I'd get it cleaned now opposed to installing a new Intake Manifold over the dirt.

The dealership quoted me $300 for the Carbon Cleaning. And provided a free loaner car for that night and the following day. I was told Carbon Cleaning should have cost $700, but I have a hunch that since the service & labor were already covered under the warranty repair, I only paid for the media blasting material. :thumbsup: I wouldn't say wait until warranty work to have a repair made, but I certainly lucked out this time.

Aside from that, the engine feels new again! What a world of difference! :happyanim:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Definitely lucked out! My question is, why would they install a new manifold if the intake valves looked like that without recommending a cleaning? Good thing you were on top of it though and beat them to it. I'm considering getting my done sometime around 40k miles. I do a lot of shorter trips since I don't live far from work so I'm sure my carbon build up is happening much quicker than others.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I was coming up on my 80,000 service when I got a CEL. Same code, P2015 Intake Manifold. I did some googling and learned about the pre-2012 warranty extension for that part. At the dealer I asked about getting the carbon cleaning done while they had the Intake Manifold off, and they quoted me $300 also. So I'm getting that all done right now, hoping the car runs like new when I get it back.

For the record I've got a MY2012 GTI with a build date of 10/26/2011. The service manager printed me out a copy of the vehicle data, says the intake manifold, fuel injectors, and injection pump have the extended coverage to 120K.

Syze00

What type of gas where you putting into it? I've never put anything but premium from either Mobil/Exxon, Shell, or Chevron. I just had to get my intake manifold replaced and a new seal put on around the timing chain housing since it was starting to seep oil. The dealer gave me a little VW bottle of gas treatment, and I did run Techron fuel treatment a few hundred miles ago. It just seems odd that my GTI has under 50k and the intake manifold already had to be replaced. I'm wondering if I should give it a full seafoam treatment after this VW fuel treatment runs through

twovalvekid

Have this code as well. Just did carbon cleaning at 99.3k on the clock. Have P2015 code. Sounds like it's still under the extended warranty?

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I'm pretty sure you are covered as well. 10 years/120k I believe.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Seafoam. Does nothing. For our cars. Nuff threads out there regarding. You'd be wasting time effort and money. It's either chem soak and picks or media blast..

Seriously

Pre95

Passed Driver's Ed
Seafoam. Does nothing. For our cars. Nuff threads out there regarding. You'd be wasting time effort and money. It's either chem soak and picks or media blast..

Seriously

This ^^ Where the deposits build up on the valves are not in an area that seafoam will actually clean. Most reputable VW shops are using bead blasting techniques now which has sped up the cleaning process exponentially.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I was coming up on my 80,000 service when I got a CEL. Same code, P2015 Intake Manifold. I did some googling and learned about the pre-2012 warranty extension for that part. At the dealer I asked about getting the carbon cleaning done while they had the Intake Manifold off, and they quoted me $300 also. So I'm getting that all done right now, hoping the car runs like new when I get it back.

For the record I've got a MY2012 GTI with a build date of 10/26/2011. The service manager printed me out a copy of the vehicle data, says the intake manifold, fuel injectors, and injection pump have the extended coverage to 120K.

Hi, how do you know if you qualify for the recall. I have a 2012 MK6 with that intake code too. Thanks

ruanj0302

Ready to race!
my 2011 gti has about 105k milesage, when I got a CEL. Same code, P2015 Intake Manifold , Thank god, it still under extended warranty.. save me big $$$$

PAmedic

This happened to my 2013 GTI about 20,000 miles ago (I'm now at 76k). Being a 2013, it wasn't covered, per VWoA they fixed this problem before mine was made. Apparently, not fixed quite like they thought.

Eswin17

Ready to race!
I got P2015 last night (at 104,000 miles), and contacted VW of America after looking at this thread and others to verify the extended warranty for my VIN. All good there, so I took it to the dealership this morning...one that I've gone to for the entire 8.5 years I've had my car. I am a little confused and disappointed after getting the service update call from the dealer, as they claim to be only replacing the intake manifold runner control and not the entire intake manifold, which is what all revisions of the VW TSB seem to call for? I'm not sure whether I should be calling VW of America again...I could not find any TSB release that shows replacement of the IMRC as a valid work order under this extended warranty. Thoughts?

zrickety

The Fixer
A brand new, latest revision manifold is less than $150...and it uses a different 'runner control' mechanism. I'm surprised they are just changing that vacuum part, the manifolds I've seen are not worth saving.