GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI Ownership Review: Six Years and 110,000 Miles

jkdiver

Thanks for sharing your experience. That was fun to read and very interesting.

Credit

Ready to race!
Thanks for the all comments guys. I wasn't really sure if anyone had the endurance to read my ramblings for that long. I love my Porsche, but I wish Porsche owners were more like GTI owners and this forum in general.

Yeah, "coincidentally." *smirk* *eye roll* She buy that?

It was actually her idea to hit up the PPIHC practice. It's not a coincidence that we bought a house together 3 months after that trip. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm....... if your clutch lasted a while on stage 2, maybe mine will....

I was amazed my stock clutch last as long as it did. I rev match every downshift and I launched it maybe 3-4 times a year. I think that helped a lot.

I enjoyed the reading of your thread very much also; introspective, well written, and entertaining. Lol.....Emma. I thought I was the only crazy one naming cars.

Great thread.

You're not alone, all my friends name their cars.

Also, if your WG goes, you only have to replace that, and not the turbo. Done it myself. Save that money for blown water pumps and engine rebuilds lol.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

My mechanic and I talked about just replacing the WG. But he suggested to replace the whole thing and I trust him a lot. I kept the old one in case the new one craps out too. I could get the old one rebuilt and keep the downtime to a minimum.

Thanks for this thread! You are great at summarizing the experience and detailing events over the years - and I'd say you have really bad luck with "dream cars" lol

I loved my Mk6, but when it began to cost us $$ for repairs, we bailed on it and went for a new mk7. Couldn't be happier, and now I wanna get it on a track next year to explore its limits.

I was really tempted by the MK7/MK7R they're better than MK6s in pretty much every way.

My Cayman has been a shitshow. But I'm planning on making lemonade this winter by boring it from a 3.4 to a 3.8.

The Cayman S is also the car and platform I'd hop into after the GTI. :thumbsup:

(I wouldn't get a 06' though.)

Yeah. I wouldn't recommend a 06-08 Cayman S to anyone who plans on tracking their car. The 09+ have DFI engines that are super stout.

Last edited:

McGuillicuddy

Passed Driver's Ed
Great post! Read it top to bottom.

Didn't notice any repairs other than the fuel filter and wastegate (clutch doesn't count - it did well for you). Have you not needed any other work done over 110K (carbon cleaning)?

Credit

Ready to race!
Great post! Read it top to bottom.

Didn't notice any repairs other than the fuel filter and wastegate (clutch doesn't count - it did well for you). Have you not needed any other work done over 110K (carbon cleaning)?

Things I can remember:
  • Clutch - wearable
  • Rear trailing arm bushing - wearable
  • Wastegate - legit broken, but it was tuned for 75k+
  • PCV oil leak - legit broken, 105k+ miles
  • Fuel filter - most likely damaged on a gravel road
  • Intake Manifold - replaced under warranty

No carbon cleaning. I dropped a lot of money on the turbo/clutch/diff, but overall it's been a pretty reliable car. Extremely reliable when you consider how hard I drive it.

zrickety

The Fixer
I feel the same way. I bought mine used but from a friend that bought it new. I've been a VW guy 5+ years and my car has 141k. I don't know what I'll replace with it, and I've really looked. Fast, light, dependable, it's hard to beat!! I'm jealous of the 2 door though.

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
This is a great thread. I'm curious if you've ever done the timing chains or tensioner? I don't see them listed. I read about those as being a weak point on this engine, but your car has clearly been driven hard (I mean that in a good way). If you haven't had it done, do you have any plans to?

Cyrok

Passed Driver's Ed
Really enjoyed the read as well, thanks for taking the time to do it! [emoji122]
As I'm trying to convince myself to go with an LSD for future mods, I was only disappointed to read you weren't impressed with it though...
Traction issues is the only thing that makes me want to go with an R....
[emoji106]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk