GOLFMKV

What has failed on your MK6 so far?

mamock116

Ready to race!
Model/Transmission: GTI MT
Year: 2013
Current mileage: 33k miles
Tuned: no
Failed parts: None so far, knock on wood.

bmc333

Ready to race!
Model/Transmission: GTI DSG
Year: 2012
Current mileage: 45k miles
Tuned: YES
Failed parts: 1 CECM, 1 water pump, wastegate on K03 turbo...replaced w/ K04 ;)

R

Rayunited

Current mileage: 39,000
Failed parts: 2 water pumps, 1 battery (3 yrs)

Richyroxx

Passed Driver's Ed
Gti m/t
Water pump last week under warranty

sergysmooth

Stock engine, no tune

25k new gas pedal (gas pedal would stop working)
27k new intake manifold (cel)
29k TB re pin (intermittent throttle)
55k entire engine harness (long crank)
59k bunch of gaskets. VC and TC I believe (oil seepage)
65k trunk latch or hatch lock part. (Wouldn't open when using the emblem. Loud clicks)

Hey man sorry to dig this up but did you fix the trunk latch? Mine is doing the same thing and im no longer under warranty so I was seeing if there was a way to avoid purchasing a new one.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Current mileage: 41k miles
Failed parts:
Water Pump @ 34k miles (Warranty)

Bumped into a cement middle divider only dinged up mirror and rims no body damage but driver side air bags deployed (not steering wheel) and seat belts seized. I feel asleep at 2:30am =*( (Insurance Claim)

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Current mileage: 73k
Failed parts: PCV and a coilpack

Bought it a year and three months ago at 48k. I've tuned it and mods in signature. Its been driven cross country very quickly twice, up to the most remote part of Maine, beat it on the hills of California to the coast of British Columbia, and my RV for a 3500 mile grand tour of the west. I even drove it down 12 miles down a trail and through four creek beds in Utah to get to a slot canyon.Its on its original battery, brakes and shocks, second set of tires. This car has got some heart.

Last edited:

Uberryan

Banned
Year: 2011
Current mileage: 32k
Failed parts: Intake manifold, coilpacks, battery, brakes, high mounted tail light (third brake light), 3 of 4 coil packs. Windshield laminate 3 times, both driver and passenger window regulators, headliner, certain spots in the clear coat of the paint, Interior center console, premature tire wear on OEM tires, OEM sub frame bolts, OEM DV, OEM side marker bulbs exploded, foglight covers in the tire well have gone missing on both sides. I think that's it.

vdubmk61

Year: 2010
Current mileage: purchased CPO AT 12k - now at 86k miles
Failed parts: intake manifold x2, coil pack, oil pressure sensor, rear dynaudio speaker, leaking turbo (out of warranty, VW covered 75%) , fuel injectors, PVC valve, throttle body, throttle body wiring.

Really getting nervous reading about the timing chain plague - trying to decide if it's worth the investment to do the preventative repair or just trade it in.

Last edited:

bdegen94

Ready to race!
Current mileage: purchased CPO AT 12k - now at 86k miles
Failed parts: intake manifold x2, coil pack, oil pressure sensor, rear dynaudio speaker, leaking turbo (out of warranty, VW covered 75%) , fuel injectors, PVC valve, throttle body, throttle body wiring.

Really getting nervous reading about the timing chain plague - trying to decide if it's worth the investment to do the preventative repair or just trade it in.

I was in a similar boat as you, let alone not nearly as many failures but had a large amount of cash that would be needed to put into the car. Bit the bullet and used that cash as a downpayment on a 2016, with all there dealer incentives i walked out about 4000 under msrp

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Model/Transmission: GTI 6MT
Current mileage: 50k
Failed parts:
2 cylinder heads
1 bottom end
2 transmissions (3rd gear & 4th gear)
3 water pumps
turbo
clutch
ecu
2 window switches
ac condenser
coil pack
throttle body

:(

Veejster

Passed Driver's Ed
Current mileage: 42k
Failed parts:
- Fuel injector @18k
- Water pump @35k
- Oxygen sensor @38

Honestly, even though there were several fixes, I don't feel like I've had that many issues. On my MK4 I had a tranny, both axles, water pipe, both front wheel bearings, wiper motor, and multiple interior parts fail before 30k miles.

vdubmk61

I was in a similar boat as you, let alone not nearly as many failures but had a large amount of cash that would be needed to put into the car. Bit the bullet and used that cash as a downpayment on a 2016, with all there dealer incentives i walked out about 4000 under msrp

That's awesome, congrats! Exactly what I've been thinking, at this point the car feels like a ticking time bomb. Currently about to graduate from college and start a job, so I'm trapped hoping it will hold up over the next few months until I will be ready.

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
Model/Transmission: GTI 6MT
Current mileage: 50k
Failed parts:
2 cylinder heads
1 bottom end
2 transmissions (3rd gear & 4th gear)
3 water pumps
turbo
clutch
ecu
2 window switches
ac condenser
coil pack
throttle body

:(

Because racecar... :D

aaronk.juju

Model/Transmission: GTD Manual
Current mileage: 65K
Failed parts:

Dual Mass Flywheel (clutch replaced as preventative maintenance due to mileage) @63000
Starter Motor @63000
Oil Level Sensor @65000

Hopefully nothing else for a while >.<