GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LSD difference?

henryjye

Ready to race!
Anyone s K04 powered GTI with LSD equipped can share their thoughts as to the difference with and without the lsd ?
i m thinkin to install one but not sure whether its worth the extra bucks

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Everything I've read suggests that it's a fairly transformative modification. I'm saving my pennies so I can have one put in when the stock clutch either fails or I get bored and start wanting power upgrades.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Anyone s K04 powered GTI with LSD equipped can share their thoughts as to the difference with and without the lsd ?
i m thinkin to install one but not sure whether its worth the extra bucks

Im interested in this as well. I went from stock to k04 with LSD since it was the cheapest route. And i still havent gotten to open her up since i have to break in the clutch. Il mention this thought I took a jughandle thats near my house that i take all the time so im familiar with it and how my car felt around it when i was stock. I didnt punch the gas but i did feel that the car took the jughandle really well with the lsd. It felt a lot better than when i was with open diff. I think i just answered my question lol. But im interested to hear from other people to see if they thought it was worth it or not because i dont know how the car feels punching it on a straight with k04 and no lsd.

Gino

Ready to race!
"Worth" will vary between everyone. Is it worth it for some people? Yes. Is it worth it for others? No. Just depends. If you plan on keeping the car a few years I would suggest doing it. I feel like my car handles better overall because of the LSD. Cornering and traction have improved. This is one of those mods you won't notice unless you take corners hard or WOT frequently in 1st or 2nd gear. Normal daily driving you likely won't even notice the mod at all. I had my LSD installed March 2016 and have had no transmission issues thus far. Probably 30K+ miles since then. My only issue with the LSD is thinking how I can make money back on it if I were ever to part out or sell my car. Thoughts come and go, but likely will have to do a transmission trade + cash on top to get any of the parts and labor money back. This is not an issue, but something to think about.

tsmack

Ready to race!
For me, yes, worth every penny. Better straight line traction, better cornering traction, better wet weather traction, better snow/ice traction, just simply better and with the K04 power its hard to put that traction down in most of those conditions. I feel much safe pushing the car and using the K04 power now in all of those conditions.

henryjye

Ready to race!
lesser wheel spin in wot in 1st and 2nd gear seems attractive enough

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
"Worth" will vary between everyone. Is it worth it for some people? Yes. Is it worth it for others? No. Just depends. If you plan on keeping the car a few years I would suggest doing it. I feel like my car handles better overall because of the LSD. Cornering and traction have improved. This is one of those mods you won't notice unless you take corners hard or WOT frequently in 1st or 2nd gear. Normal daily driving you likely won't even notice the mod at all. I had my LSD installed March 2016 and have had no transmission issues thus far. Probably 30K+ miles since then. My only issue with the LSD is thinking how I can make money back on it if I were ever to part out or sell my car. Thoughts come and go, but likely will have to do a transmission trade + cash on top to get any of the parts and labor money back. This is not an issue, but something to think about.
I went into it knowing that it would not be something I can sell if I ever decide to part out. sucks but pay to play.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I went into it knowing that it would not be something I can sell if I ever decide to part out. sucks but pay to play.

Very much this. I'm not even that deep into mods, but with 136k miles, I'm now of the mindset that I'll own this car for a very very long time, even if it stops being my daily driver at some point in the future. That way I don't even think about cost recovery, since I'm not expecting to sell the car in the foreseeable future.

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
The LSD will completely change how your car drives and handles for the better. Pulling out of a corner is drastically different and feels sooooooo much better.

Heck, even with swapping AWD into my car I feel that the LSD makes a big enough difference to be a necessity.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
It is a very nice upgrade for a well driven street car but it is an absolute must have if you track your car. Night and day difference on the track.

henryjye

Ready to race!
at the same time ,is it neccesary to upgrade dsg clutch pack while i install the lsd ? or oem clutchpack is ok to perform

Chris659

Ready to race!
at the same time ,is it neccesary to upgrade dsg clutch pack while i install the lsd ? or oem clutchpack is ok to perform

I would think that's going to be best answered by whomever created your DSG and ecu tunes. Some tunes are not going to mesh well with certain friction materials. Also depends on what level of mods you have