GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel trim piece removal

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I searched but didnt see anything specific to this topic - if you can find another thread please let me know so i can blame the beer.

I'm thinking i want to try painting the chrome trim piece from the steering wheel that is in the 6 o'clock position. I'd like to remove it instead of taping off... well, everything, just to do this. I'm wondering if it can be removed without removing the airbag. I want to assume i can maybe pry it off after removing a screw or something but given the proximity to the airbag in relation to where my face will be at the time, i'd like to avoid breaking my face.

I've seen lots of products that go over this and plenty of youtube videos on steering wheel removal, and the multi-function controls removal... but nothing for this piece.

Thanks

riceburner

Autocross Champion
you can just pry it off; i replaced mine with an apr piece that way. super easy, didn't break anything.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
you can just pry it off; i replaced mine with an apr piece that way. super easy, didn't break anything.

I'll have to investigate this. Thanks. Is it held in with clips or something? As I want to reinstall I'd like to not break anythijng during removal

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Yep just some clips, nothing you need to unclip, just pry it out gently with a credit card or broad flatblade and a shirt over it

Macca 01

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah it just pry's off , I did mine and painted it black so the GTi is still in the silver and shows up rather well , will get a pic when next in the car during daylight hours

Macca 01

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is pics , sorry for the delay

Attachments

• Badge 1.jpg
    Badge 1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 578
  • Badge 2.jpg
    Badge 2.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 555

Phur

Autocross Champion
Here is pics , sorry for the delay

Are you referring to the horizontal bar that the GTI is set on? Because mine is already black... [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Decided I'd like to also paint the trim next to the steering wheel controls... looking at videos I'm thinking I might need to remove airbag, though.

jawkdna

Decided I'd like to also paint the trim next to the steering wheel controls... looking at videos I'm thinking I might need to remove airbag, though.

Did you ever end up doing this...
I am hunting all over for a way to cover or paint those multi-function surrounds black rather than the lame silver...

anybody?

I've seen several chinese black sticker covers but they are for the Golf and not the GTI. Can't find anyone that makes them.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Did you ever end up doing this...
I am hunting all over for a way to cover or paint those multi-function surrounds black rather than the lame silver...

anybody?

I've seen several chinese black sticker covers but they are for the Golf and not the GTI. Can't find anyone that makes them.

i did not do it but it looks highly lightly that the mounts for it reside solely behind the airbag. airbag removal doesnt look TOO awful but i'm hesitant to mess with that.