GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ruined motor at 4,000 miles

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Bump for answers ^^

butchered by autocorrect

Drive and enjoy the car. You didnt intentionally abuse the car. Are you severely modded? Car is trashed? Not taken care of by the book? Ive done the same thing and I didnt see how high the revs were. Dont really care it was ALMOST a missed shift. I caught it and life goes on.

Sell the car or trade it and get something else if this is keeping you up at night. You didnt blow the engine and you did NOT intentionally abuse the car.

Call a dealer not yours explain the situation and gauge the response. Then panic or smile....oh yea 1 over rev does not equal a pattern of mis use either.

Last edited:

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
So you would like help to erase this from your ECU so you can get warranty repairs? Which in turn brings up our car's cost, indirectly.

Above you were calm about this incident. I see why now, you don't plan on taking responsibility for it yourself, you want everyone else to. Either eat it or move on please.

This forum is disappointing lately.

chris101

Ready to race!
its too bad you couldn't have cleared the codes before taking it in...

but yes, based on the evidence at their disposal, they can easily deny the work.

Certain codes cannot be cleared with VAGCOM and I suspect this is one of them.

My car brand new *(when I picked it up) had a 'low fuel' code and is not clearable (you can say clear codes as much as you want and it stays).

I suspect that if you run the fuel to empty too many times and have fuel pump problems, this is VWs way of saying neglect and no warranty.

I'm not too happy having this code in there but I'm super careful to make sure I fill up before the low fuel light goes on now.

McQueen77

Banned
just got around to reading the OP and don't need to read anyone's responses to confirm that yes, this is on you. 4th to 1st gear??? how is that even possible? didn't she feel like something was going wrong or she just forced it? i don't see how this even happened.

regardless, on you.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
So you would like help to erase this from your ECU so you can get warranty repairs? Which in turn brings up our car's cost, indirectly.

Above you were calm about this incident. I see why now, you don't plan on taking responsibility for it yourself, you want everyone else to. Either eat it or move on please.

Not true. Expected future warranty cost is baked into msrp at launch. If this guys 2011 gets warrantied, even though it maybe shouldn't, that will not affect the price of future cars.

freedomgli

Passed Driver's Ed
Not true. Expected future warranty cost is baked into msrp at launch. If this guys 2011 gets warrantied, even though it maybe shouldn't, that will not affect the price of future cars.

.... unless the manufacturer's estimated warranty costs at the time of sale are exceeded by actual warranty costs at some point down the road, at which time they will either curtail warranty spending (perhaps denying otherwise valid warranty claims or reducing the rate at which they reimburse dealers) or maybe they will raise the price of new vehicles in an attempt to raise revenues to cover the higher than anticipated expenditures. Forecasting is not absolute science. When you've got a blindfold on and you're holding the tail you don't know if it belongs to a horse or an elephant. One thing you do know is that your forecast will be wrong, you just don't know by how much. So many things affect pricing, not least of which is actual warranty costs.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
.... unless the manufacturer's estimated warranty costs at the time of sale are exceeded by actual warranty costs at some point down the road, at which time they will either curtail warranty spending (perhaps denying otherwise valid warranty claims or reducing the rate at which they reimburse dealers)

That may happen, but that is not pricing related. That is managing expenses that may have been mis-priced at the risk of pissing off your customers.

or maybe they will raise the price of new vehicles in an attempt to raise revenues to cover the higher than anticipated expenditures. Forecasting is not absolute science. When you've got a blindfold on and you're holding the tail you don't know if it belongs to a horse or an elephant. One thing you do know is that your forecast will be wrong, you just don't know by how much. So many things affect pricing, not least of which is actual warranty costs.

Market prices and competitive pressures would limit VW ability to raise price on NEW vehicles due to a mis-price of OLDER vehicles. Sure, they can try but free markets will limit their ability to do so.

In the end, abuse of warranty claims may put a companies financial statements in the gutter but it is very unlikely to affect new product pricing.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
7300rpm is not worth worrying about and at that very load, I would say almost assuredly did not damage the engine. Don't sweat it.

meph

Ready to race!
I have not tried this on my R but on my previous VW's, since "most" transmissions don't have a 2nd-1st synchro, the transmission wont let you put it in first if you are rolling. How this happened is beyond me.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
How about VW's One Time Goodwill Repair? Service manager may be able to help you get this through VW of America....

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
Okay guys I need help from a VW mechanic.

Just did an autoscan. When I shifted into 2nd instead of 4th @ about 63mph, the engine revved to 7302 RPM. Not at all as high as I thought, but the scan reads this:

000537 - Maximum Engine Speed Exceeded: Engine Warranty VOID!
P0219 - 000 - -) - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 40494 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.14.14
Time: 17:08:36

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 7302 /min
Load: 16.9 %
Speed: 106.0 km/h
Temperature: 82.0°C
Temperature: 7.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.351 V

My question is this: is there a bit in there that I can't access via VCDS that indicates if my engine warranty is void? I ask because 7302 isn't much higher than the rev limiter at 7000 rpm, I may have some sweet talking I can do to get warranty work done as long as they know that it was 7302. If I go clear that code, I'm worried a tech might know the warranty is void without knowing why.

Appreciate the help guys.
Does vagcom or whatever diagnostic tool you used actually say "engine warranty void" or you added that?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Does vagcom or whatever diagnostic tool you used actually say "engine warranty void" or you added that?

Yes it does say that. That was a direct copy.

Keep in mind, however, that the ecu doesn't actually report any text like that - it's added by Ross-Tech's software. At least, in my expertise with controls systems, it would be very costly to include all that data and try and pipe it through the CAN bus when your diagnostics tool sits on a PC with nearly limitless storage. Not to mention it's far easier to develop for. I can't envision how vw would want all that in their ecu.

butchered by autocorrect

Last edited:

socal87

Drag Race Newbie

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Drive and enjoy the car. You didnt intentionally abuse the car. Are you severely modded? Car is trashed? Not taken care of by the book? Ive done the same thing and I didnt see how high the revs were. Dont really care it was ALMOST a missed shift. I caught it and life goes on.

Sell the car or trade it and get something else if this is keeping you up at night. You didnt blow the engine and you did NOT intentionally abuse the car.

Call a dealer not yours explain the situation and gauge the response. Then panic or smile....oh yea 1 over rev does not equal a pattern of mis use either.

Actually the engine runs great. I want to say it runs smoother but that's probably just the placebo effect. Not at all worried about it anymore after driving on it for a few days.

You know every time I post I think to myself, "does anyone want to read this?" In this case, I wanted to know mor about how VW's diagnostics system works. If I found there were no repercussions I will get rid of the code because I simply don't want to see it anymore. But hey man, thanks for your contribution

Certain codes cannot be cleared with VAGCOM and I suspect this is one of them.

My car brand new *(when I picked it up) had a 'low fuel' code and is not clearable (you can say clear codes as much as you want and it stays).

I suspect that if you run the fuel to empty too many times and have fuel pump problems, this is VWs way of saying neglect and no warranty.

I'm not too happy having this code in there but I'm super careful to make sure I fill up before the low fuel light goes on now.

Yes I have confirmed that the code CAN NOT be cleared pertinently. I do not yet know whether the freeze frame info comes with that, though.

If not, I definitely don't want to clear that code.

7300rpm is not worth worrying about and at that very load, I would say almost assuredly did not damage the engine. Don't sweat it.

Naw it's not a big deal in my case. It just felt like shit. That blender sound will live with me forever, it felt so severe in the moment. But hey, I drove all the way home so I knew it wasn't all that bad.

butchered by autocorrect