GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brakes still suck

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
OP - bleed your brakes. You have air in your lines.

Me and my old man did it old school style when I put the ATE blue fluid in.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Plus 6pot is too much for the street. I'll look into it,

Careful here...Read the threads carefully. If you go to the 6 pots you really need to spend the extra $1000 to upsize the rears to maintain a safe F/R brake bias...This requires a bunch of custom parts from the guy who pioneered this conversion.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Racingbrake > Forge

Buy from a company that actually specializes in making brake products vs a company who private labels asian knockoff bbks.

Dave

If your opinion on RB being better than Forge is based on your incorrect knowledge of Forge's kit being a private label Asian knockoff... you are simply ignorant. Forge makes their own brakes in-house in the UK.

You have proven that your expertise on comparing anything to Forge's BBK is absolutely nonsense and should probably refrain from offering an opinion on what you don't know or understand.

BUT... where would I be if I didn't give you a chance to prove yourself? :iono:

If you can prove that Forge's BBK is an Asian knockoff, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Careful here...Read the threads carefully. If you go to the 6 pots you really need to spend the extra $1000 to upsize the rears to maintain a safe F/R brake bias...This requires a bunch of custom parts from the guy who pioneered this conversion.

Exactly. I've skimmed through the discussions about it about a year ago and the logic makes sense. Managed to do some calculations of my own and came to the same conclusion. That is why I've wanted to stick to a 4pot setup.

crew219

Banned
If your opinion on RB being better than Forge is based on your incorrect knowledge of Forge's kit being a private label Asian knockoff... you are simply ignorant. Forge makes their own brakes in-house in the UK.

You have proven that your expertise on comparing anything to Forge's BBK is absolutely nonsense and should probably refrain from offering an opinion on what you don't know or understand.

BUT... where would I be if I didn't give you a chance to prove yourself? :iono:

If you can prove that Forge's BBK is an Asian knockoff, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

Can you prove that Forge's BBK's are made in the UK? Other than Mike@forge claiming it to be so?

It wouldn't be the first asian product they've marketed. Look at their twintake, or their former carbon fiber catch can, their silicone hoses.... etc.

Dave

Deaks2

Ready to race!
What about the R32 rear brake conversion?

Does anyone know where we can find the piston sizes for the 17z, 18z, Boxster base, GTI stock rear and R32 rear calipers?

crew219

Banned
What about the R32 rear brake conversion?

Does anyone know where we can find the piston sizes for the 17z, 18z, Boxster base, GTI stock rear and R32 rear calipers?

R32 uses the same size piston as a stock GTI rear caliper (at least the stock GTI calipers prior to the newer smaller caliper and rotor setup on the 2012s and maybe 2011s).

Dave

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Can you prove that Forge's BBK's are made in the UK? Other than Mike@forge claiming it to be so?

It wouldn't be the first asian product they've marketed. Look at their twintake, or their former carbon fiber catch can, their silicone hoses.... etc.

Dave

The burden of proof is not on me right now.

C'mon Dave... steak dinner...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Frankly, I dont believe its made in the UK either - 6pots at that price, made in the UK with the BP where it is against the dollar, and who Forge is.. I just don't buy it.

Last edited:

Deaks2

Ready to race!
R32 uses the same size piston as a stock GTI rear caliper (at least the stock GTI calipers prior to the newer smaller caliper and rotor setup on the 2012s and maybe 2011s).

Dave
So the only difference for the 2010 GTI and R32 rears is the carrier and rotor size? The calipers are the same part?

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Frankly, I dont believe its made in the UK either - 6pots at that price, made in the UK with the euro where it is against the dollar, and who Forge is.. I just don't buy it.
Never tell an Englishman that they use the Euro... :p

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Deaks2

Ready to race!
So I am now thinking that the Boxster upgrade makes more sense because a cheap rear brake upgrade is all but non-existant for these cars.

crew219

Banned
So the only difference for the 2010 GTI and R32 rears is the carrier and rotor size? The calipers are the same part?

calipers are of the same design, but wider to accommodate the wider rotor.

Dave

crew219

Banned
The burden of proof is not on me right now.

C'mon Dave... steak dinner...

Riddle me this . . . if Forge actually made that caliper, why aren't we seeing it being used on other non MK5/6 variant vehicles?

I'll tell you this. I don't have a bill of lading for Forge showing that they get those brakes from a certain shop in China, however I did find that exact caliper they use, with the same pad shape being sold by another popular place that private labels bbks to companies. If you decided to go through alibaba or made-in-china.com, i'm sure you could find it yourself too.

Dave