GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My *one* big gripe with my car is....

Ol' Man

Passed Driver's Ed
I've only had my GTI for a little over a month, the only complaint so far is lack of interior storage in the center console. My Sonata had a 2 level armrest console that was deep and a larger space under the center stack where I could conceal my Glock 27.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
This one may be just me, but it bothers me to know this engine is more subject to carbon build-up on the intake valves that almost any other car on the road.

This is caused by America's EPA Regulating the crap out of Fuels these days, and the Ethanol MANDATED in Every bit of gas sold here. Most stations are Up to 5 or 10 percent Ethanol. The Ethanol causes bad juju to go on inside the engine with carbon deposits.

Best thing to combat that in a Gas Engine is to get an oil/air seperator installed on the breather tube from the cylinder head to the intake, THEN use Seafoam every few tank fulls. Dump a whole bottle of the stuff inside the tank, and every Oil Change, find a negative pressure tube running from, say the brake booster, or somewhere on the engine to the intake manifold, and let the engine Idle for 5-10 minutes with a tube running from that port to a bottle of SeaFoam. If the engine starts to run lower than idle, some light pedal work will need to be done by a friend to make sure the car doesn't die.

Once the bottle is used up from this process (basically what that 100-500 dollar carbon cleaning at the dealer is doing) Let the engine sit for 30 minutes. After it has sat. Fire it up, and take if for a Very spirited run. This will produce a white smoke out the pipes letting you know the Sea Foam is working. Once the white smoke dissapates, Carbon cleaning has completed, and you can now enjoy the next 10000 miles till your next oil change.

oh, btw, if you want to make sure the INSIDE of your engine is taken care of too, while the engine is sitting for that 30 minutes, dump half a bottle of sea foam into the oil, and the rest in the tank. After a good thrashing to get the smoke gone, THEN go get an oil change. This will loosen up any Gunk that has found home on non moving parts, and will come out during the oil change.

I use this stuff at each oil change on my Wife's 2003 S10 and it runs like a top to this day. I told my dad about this stuff (he didn't believe me at first) Had him dump a bottle in the tank of his Sierra, and a bottle in his 5.3LV8. He then went for an oil change, and the truck runs like new.

I will be doing the carbon cleaning for him in a week, and I'll see if I can't get video of the process.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
This is caused by America's EPA Regulating the crap out of Fuels these days, and the Ethanol MANDATED in Every bit of gas sold here.

No. That's not the reason your intake valves cake up. And seafoam will help, but won't get rid of everything unless you do it every single oil change. Then you can have fun dealing with a blown turbo or catalytic converter.

Wopasaurus

Ready to race!
I've only had my GTI for a little over a month, the only complaint so far is lack of interior storage in the center console. My Sonata had a 2 level armrest console that was deep and a larger space under the center stack where I could conceal my Glock 27.

Same problem. I usually just keep my G19/Sig228 in the side pocket in the driver's door.

I'm really debating getting one of those "under the steering column holster" things.... but I am still undecided.

GTINAPLES

Ready to race!
Same problem. I usually just keep my G19/Sig228 in the side pocket in the driver's door.

I'm really debating getting one of those "under the steering column holster" things.... but I am still undecided.

Buy under seat drawers. Great place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

McQueen77

Banned
This is caused by America's EPA Regulating the crap out of Fuels these days, and the Ethanol MANDATED in Every bit of gas sold here. Most stations are Up to 5 or 10 percent Ethanol. The Ethanol causes bad juju to go on inside the engine with carbon deposits.

Best thing to combat that in a Gas Engine is to get an oil/air seperator installed on the breather tube from the cylinder head to the intake, THEN use Seafoam every few tank fulls. Dump a whole bottle of the stuff inside the tank, and every Oil Change, find a negative pressure tube running from, say the brake booster, or somewhere on the engine to the intake manifold, and let the engine Idle for 5-10 minutes with a tube running from that port to a bottle of SeaFoam. If the engine starts to run lower than idle, some light pedal work will need to be done by a friend to make sure the car doesn't die.

Once the bottle is used up from this process (basically what that 100-500 dollar carbon cleaning at the dealer is doing) Let the engine sit for 30 minutes. After it has sat. Fire it up, and take if for a Very spirited run. This will produce a white smoke out the pipes letting you know the Sea Foam is working. Once the white smoke dissapates, Carbon cleaning has completed, and you can now enjoy the next 10000 miles till your next oil change.

oh, btw, if you want to make sure the INSIDE of your engine is taken care of too, while the engine is sitting for that 30 minutes, dump half a bottle of sea foam into the oil, and the rest in the tank. After a good thrashing to get the smoke gone, THEN go get an oil change. This will loosen up any Gunk that has found home on non moving parts, and will come out during the oil change.

I use this stuff at each oil change on my Wife's 2003 S10 and it runs like a top to this day. I told my dad about this stuff (he didn't believe me at first) Had him dump a bottle in the tank of his Sierra, and a bottle in his 5.3LV8. He then went for an oil change, and the truck runs like new.

I will be doing the carbon cleaning for him in a week, and I'll see if I can't get video of the process.

this is just not the case with direct injection re: the fuel tank.. seafoam wont really make a difference overall since all youre doing is burning off a superficial layer of carbon. people who want to own this car a long time will just have to spring for a valve cleaning sometime before 100k miles. not the end of the world. running seafoam that often in a car like the gti with such sensitive narrow tolerances will do more harm than good. its not an old honda prelude with a carburetor

Last edited:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I hate that it's so much fun to drive that I'm already over 44k miles in 2 years...

mcomora

Ready to race!
No auto headlights/wipers, even on the $37k R. I'm pretty sure the $12k Kia Rio has this standard.
No full power seats
Small infotainment screen (RNS315)
No center console storage cubby
Stock P-Zero Neros suck

Shoot_out

Ready to race!
That I just bought it and I kinda really want a brz limited in white...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372198771.190412.jpg

Sent with errors intact for your amusement.

formul8

My GLI farts
- Driver's door gets some nasty noise on the highway in crosswinds. (Dealer said door seals are ok. I disagree)

- The IP lights dimming in tunnels or parking garages when the headlights are off

- iPod issues, like refusing to skip to the next song

- The touch screen display is both dangerously slow and poorly laid out. (I've had all the updates done)

- DSG slams into first when the A/C is on. (Dealer says this is normal. I disagree.)