GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Men: ever wonder where to pee to avoid splash back? Answered here

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
"A team of four physicists at Brigham Young University (calling themselves "wizz-kids") has been studying the physics properties of urine splash-back in a urinal-like environment."

Full details:
http://phys.org/news/2013-11-university-physicists-urine-splash-back-tactics.html

(Phys.org) —A team of four physicists at Brigham Young University (calling themselves "wizz-kids") has been studying the physics properties of urine splash-back in a urinal-like environment. Their mission was to uncover the fluid dynamics involved in male peeing and to hopefully discern which approach leads to the least amount of splash-back (and less mess). They will be presenting their results at the American Physical Society Meeting later this month.
It's a problem males have dealt with since the advent of clothes and porcelain toilets—letting fly at the urinal inevitably results in some splash-back onto the floor, or worse, trousers. To better understand the problem, the team at BYU set up a water tank and nozzles (emitting colored water) to mimic the natural flow of human urine as it leaves the body. They then filmed the action using high-speed cameras. Scrutiny of the video allowed the team to clearly see which sorts of techniques cause the most, or least splash-back. They also set up another tank to mimic sitting on a toilet to pee, rather than standing at a urinal.
In analyzing their results, the researchers found that sitting on a toilet, as most men well know, results in the least amount of splash-back (the contact point is much closer). They also discovered something likely few men have considered—that urine follows what is known as the Plateau-Rayleigh instability—where a pee stream breaks up into drops before striking something else. That's the worst thing that can happen, the team reports, because each drop creates splash-back. To avoid that, men should stand as close to the urinal as possible they advise. Also helpful is directing the stream to hit the back of the urinal at a downward angle. That creates less splash-back and the drops that do bounce, head downwards into the urinal drain. Conversely, to prevent messing one's trousers (or angering neighbors) they suggest men not spray directly into the urinal or into the pool that forms at the bottom of the urinal, both cause a lot of splash-back.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
It's true! You ever see one of those pads in there w/ the vertical rubber fingers/bristles? Takes care of business.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
None of that matters when there is a super low urinal to pee in. That is ridiculous. We have one at work, a place where no children will ever be. But the urinal is like 2 ft off the ground. No way to prevent splash back.

Pisses me off as I get pissed on.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
http://www.urinalscreens.us/ekcoscreen-Blue_p_15.html

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
I have pretty much just accepted that I will sprinkle piss droplets on my pants and shoes no matter what, and that's why I never wear flip flops to sporting events.