GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
Yes I believe this campaign to replace leaky pumps was for 11 CBFAs only through 120,000 miles. Mine was covered by VW.

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
Yes I believe this campaign to replace leaky pumps was for 11 CBFAs only through 120,000 miles. Mine was covered by VW.

Mine is 2012 CBFA and covered under recall. I replaced 2 WP under warranty before recall was issued. I opted not to install new pump under recall since my current pump is the latest revision and no leaks for last 15K, instead I made a deal with the dealer, where I get the pump in the box and free oil change and dealer can pretend that they completed the work under recall.

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Mine is 2012 CBFA and covered under recall. I replaced 2 WP under warranty before recall was issued. I opted not to install new pump under recall since my current pump is the latest revision and no leaks for last 15K, instead I made a deal with the dealer, where I get the pump in the box and free oil change and dealer can pretend that they completed the work under recall.

If you have the current waterpump then no work is performed and the campaign is closed, unless it's leaking. We also give warranty parts back. As a tech at a dealer, this is a bad practice for them.

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

IF your engine is a CCTA, your SOL. You have 3 options:
1. replace it yourself
2. pay an independent shop
3. deal with the stealership and hope those incompetent mofos don't mess up the work

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
1. replace it yourself
3. deal with the stealership and hope those incompetent mofos don't mess up the work

Yes because independent shops are all highly paid and highly experienced techs. You can get a shit tech anywhere.

I can't count how many independent jobs I've had to fix because their all data bs was wrong.

zrickety

The Fixer
Odds are the dealer is worse unless you know a good tech.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
1. replace it yourself

I wonder as to WHY only the CBFA engines are covered to have the water pump replaced under recall?
And how come the CCTA engines don’t get these water pumps replaced under recall?? Essentially the water pumps are identical with the exception of an extra sensor that gets used for CBFA engines.

Weird if you ask me…

zrickety

The Fixer
Recalls are safety related, a leaky pump doesn't count. It's covered by the initial powertrain to 60k or CPO, you can't get free repairs for life.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Yes because independent shops are all highly paid and highly experienced techs. You can get a shit tech anywhere.

I can't count how many independent jobs I've had to fix because their all data bs was wrong.

Just ask around how many WP were replaced "again" because the VW tech botched the initial replacement. Go ahead...I will wait.

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Just ask around how many WP were replaced "again" because the VW tech botched the initial replacement. Go ahead...I will wait.

How do we know the reason for the failure?

There's so many reasons thsee pumps fail, I can't speculate on the entire situation across the USA let alone globally. Like I said there's good and bad techs everywhere.

Let's just leave it at the design isn't great. I've done waterpumps on vehicles with under 1k miles.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
yes its def. a recall. I just took mine today to have it replaced. I was scared they wouldn't do it because my car has a rebuilt title but they didn't care whatsoever. Put me in a 2012 jetta loaner and it should be done in the next day or so :D

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
How do we know the reason for the failure?

There's so many reasons thsee pumps fail, I can't speculate on the entire situation across the USA let alone globally. Like I said there's good and bad techs everywhere.

Let's just leave it at the design isn't great. I've done waterpumps on vehicles with under 1k miles.

Reason for the initial failure ------ bad engineering design

Why they fail after the first replacement ------ installer error aka LAZINESS. It's such a hassle to clean the surround area so those lazy mofos just slap the new WP in and out the door it goes.