GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

VWTN

Ready to race!
Ours hasn't stalled since I last posted about it. Problem seems to have rectified itself. We'll see.

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
I took mine in and the fuel pump was replaced. Problem still happens. The car also feels incredibly sluggish as well. The shifts are not as smooth and the car feels lethargic. Someone had mentioned earlier than something with the TPS was fixed, does fix not work?

Uberryan

Banned
I still say it's an injector issue, as injector problems have been cropping up recently. I have a feeling they're flawed or defective by design, and this is a symptom of them being crap. VW states they're not part of drivetrain and will try to fight you on warranty repair, should you be past the 36k mark. I sense a TSB, or recall soon.

Poltergeist

Ready to race!
my 6 spd has almost 40000km and never stalled during start up. I always use 100 octane gas.

u can get 100octane in a regular gas station?

100 octane is banned in Canada :(

anyway just some update of mine.

I have a 6 speed. tuned

this stuttering problem happened 3 times during the first 6 month of ownage.
during that period twice before tune once after it. then it stopped for about 7 month or so. about 3 months ago it came back....even harder. I lost count cuz it happens a lot now.

Sometimes it will stall before the red needle can climb up to 1000rpm. engine will start but for literally 1 second...then stalls
Once when it stalled I couldn't start the engine the second time I tried. Pull the key out and turned again, it worked. on the way home my face was like wtf....
Once it happened at a meet and people gave me the wtf face....
Other times are just like people have said.

It happens ONLY when car is warm, and been sitting there for 5min to couple of hours. It does revive if I give it some gas(except the instant ones).

Last edited:

Uberryan

Banned
u can get 100octane in a regular gas station?

100 octane is banned in Canada :(

anyway just some update of mine.

I have a 6 speed. tuned

this stuttering problem happened 3 times during the first 6 month of ownage.
during that period twice before tune once after it. then it stopped for about 7 month or so. about 3 months ago it came back....even harder. I lost count cuz it happens a lot now.

Sometimes it will stall before the red needle can climb up to 1000rpm. engine will start but for literally 1 second...then stalls
Once when it stalled I couldn't start the engine the second time I tried. Pull the key out and turned again, it worked. on the way home my face was like wtf....
Once it happened at a meet and people gave me the wtf face....
Other times are just like people have said.

It happens ONLY when car is warm, and been sitting there for 5min to couple of hours. It does revive if I give it some gas(except the instal ones).

We have race fuel stations here that sell 100 octane and higher. Needless to say, it's about $9/gal.

Zubair

My 2012 manual has been doing this intermittently since new. VW changed some fuel pipe in the engine bay that has some regulator attached and said it wasn't holding pressure. However the problem still crops up once in 2 weeks or so. They now blame the signal from throttle to peddle and could be faulty throttle peddle.

Allen

Same Here

This story sounds familiar. Just got mine fixed at the dealership (hopefully). Here's how it went down. Hope this helps.

I had the same stalling problem happen to me the first time about a month ago. Started car, it wanted to stall, stayed around 500 rpm. When I tried to put the DSG in reverse, it wouldn't link up. I shut it off, turned it back on, and it ran great for two weeks.

Then, completely unrelatedly, my AC quit working about two weeks ago. Brought it in, and the dealer found an AC hose had been cut by an adjacent hose's clamp whose screw vibrated against the AC hose over time. It's very similar to what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648220

The dealer replaced the hose, moved the hose clamp, and charged the AC system under warranty. I arrived to pick it up a few days later.

When I got there, a service manager brought the car around. I got in, started it up, and the stalling action happened again. This time it was even worse, complete with rough idle and eventually the engine dying. I couldn't believe my luck that this other problem re-emerged right in front of a dealer. The service manager tried to start it again, and it did the same thing, complete with CEL lights flashing. The dealer immediately ran a diagnostic on it and got no codes. They turned it off, turned it back on, and it ran fine again.

So the car went back into the shop, and they tested the fuel system with pressure gauges. What they found was that when the car was turned off, the pressure in the fuel system downstream of the pump would drop over time. They also saw some high amp readings going to the fuel pump during operation. They weren't sure if it was the fuel pump or the fuel pump control module, so they replaced both under warranty.

I don't know what the problem was exactly, but if pressure was leaking back across the pump, it may have been a bad check valve. To me, having fuel leak back across the pump would make sense in explaining an issue that only arises during startup. I'm guessing that it just causes the engine to starve for gas while the fuel line is filling up during startup. I've had it back for a few days now with no problems. If I have any more issues, I'll post about it.

MellowCat

Having this same issue a lot on my 2012 Manual car. Stalls at least once per day, dealer can't duplicate the problem. Car always re-starts on the second try fine. Seems to happen most often when parked for a short time after driving for awhile.

I have the rear window washer drip issue too. Dealer told me there was no fix for it....

KevinBlank

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been experiencing the same problem, and at 12k it just started doing it about 1000 miles ago. Happens at least once a day, not dependent on temperature or weather the AC is on or not. It has done it for the dealer, but no codes or anything. They couldn't do anything for me. :confused:

Mellow, another forum user from Cin City! :thumbsup:

Uberryan

Banned
This story sounds familiar. Just got mine fixed at the dealership (hopefully). Here's how it went down. Hope this helps.

I had the same stalling problem happen to me the first time about a month ago. Started car, it wanted to stall, stayed around 500 rpm. When I tried to put the DSG in reverse, it wouldn't link up. I shut it off, turned it back on, and it ran great for two weeks.

Then, completely unrelatedly, my AC quit working about two weeks ago. Brought it in, and the dealer found an AC hose had been cut by an adjacent hose's clamp whose screw vibrated against the AC hose over time. It's very similar to what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648220

The dealer replaced the hose, moved the hose clamp, and charged the AC system under warranty. I arrived to pick it up a few days later.

When I got there, a service manager brought the car around. I got in, started it up, and the stalling action happened again. This time it was even worse, complete with rough idle and eventually the engine dying. I couldn't believe my luck that this other problem re-emerged right in front of a dealer. The service manager tried to start it again, and it did the same thing, complete with CEL lights flashing. The dealer immediately ran a diagnostic on it and got no codes. They turned it off, turned it back on, and it ran fine again.

So the car went back into the shop, and they tested the fuel system with pressure gauges. What they found was that when the car was turned off, the pressure in the fuel system downstream of the pump would drop over time. They also saw some high amp readings going to the fuel pump during operation. They weren't sure if it was the fuel pump or the fuel pump control module, so they replaced both under warranty.

I don't know what the problem was exactly, but if pressure was leaking back across the pump, it may have been a bad check valve. To me, having fuel leak back across the pump would make sense in explaining an issue that only arises during startup. I'm guessing that it just causes the engine to starve for gas while the fuel line is filling up during startup. I've had it back for a few days now with no problems. If I have any more issues, I'll post about it.

Wish they'd posted a better picture of the hose and clamp location in the engine bay. I've noticed my a/c has stopped blowing as cold as it did before. I just figured it was due to summer heat and my added intercooler upgrade.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Anyone know the supplier for the injectors?

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
argh my '11 (DSG pushbutton-start) just stalled on me today after sitting in the 97 degree heat for an hour. It stalled about 10 seconds after starting, I had just turned on the A/C.

So there is not a TSB or anything for this yet???