GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

TheCastle

Ready to race!
I wanted to let everyone know I have found a solution to this problem, but not necessarily one everyone would like to pursue. I'm sure there are other solutions to this minor defect.

I have a 2011 GTI with DSG and have been having the stalling issue since I bought the car. The one where when the car is warmed up, I turn it off, run an earned, then start it up, it runs at about 500rpms, and slowly dies. IF I give it gas sometimes it runs rough and will be okay, or just dies. I also have the issue on cold starts, that the first time I come to a stop it also feels like its going to die.

But I have noticed a fix for this. I got tuned (APR stage 1) and noticed that when I'm running with the tune active i have no idle/starting problems. When I switch back to stock mode its back.

Seems like this can be fixed with software..... But yes this is a common problem. Lots of threads on it.

Last edited:

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
I dropped my car off at the dealer today to try to address this issue. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not giving up yet. I opened a case with WVoA, for what it's worth.

Anyone else still having this problem or has had it fixed? How's the APR stage 1 fix working out for you with respect to this issue?

Uberryan

Banned
I dropped my car off at the dealer today to try to address this issue. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not giving up yet. I opened a case with WVoA, for what it's worth.

Anyone else still having this problem or has had it fixed? How's the APR stage 1 fix working out for you with respect to this issue?

I have APR stage 2, and the issue has not rectified if that's any inkling. I've noticed a lot of fuel pump issues lately. Wondering if it's connected, as the resulting stalling after start up is apparently linked with a slow to pressurize fuel pump.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Dealer service rep called me today.

Predictably, they cannot replicate the issue.

I told them to keep it another day and try again. :)

Bigoregon

Dealer service rep called me today.

Predictably, they cannot replicate the issue.

I told them to keep it another day and try again. :)

I purchased my '11 DSG turn key early this year and my car has stalled at least 50 times on me and I am up to about 7.5k on mileage, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to take it into the dealership as I have been out of town working or was unable to get a loaner in san antonio or in panama city. What happened with the Panama City VW anyways? a chain bought them out and cut out all their fleet loaner cars and reduced the service dept to basically doing oil changes as far as I can tell...
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
This story sounds familiar. Just got mine fixed at the dealership (hopefully). Here's how it went down. Hope this helps.

I had the same stalling problem happen to me the first time about a month ago. Started car, it wanted to stall, stayed around 500 rpm. When I tried to put the DSG in reverse, it wouldn't link up. I shut it off, turned it back on, and it ran great for two weeks.

Then, completely unrelatedly, my AC quit working about two weeks ago. Brought it in, and the dealer found an AC hose had been cut by an adjacent hose's clamp whose screw vibrated against the AC hose over time. It's very similar to what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648220

The dealer replaced the hose, moved the hose clamp, and charged the AC system under warranty. I arrived to pick it up a few days later.

When I got there, a service manager brought the car around. I got in, started it up, and the stalling action happened again. This time it was even worse, complete with rough idle and eventually the engine dying. I couldn't believe my luck that this other problem re-emerged right in front of a dealer. The service manager tried to start it again, and it did the same thing, complete with CEL lights flashing. The dealer immediately ran a diagnostic on it and got no codes. They turned it off, turned it back on, and it ran fine again.

So the car went back into the shop, and they tested the fuel system with pressure gauges. What they found was that when the car was turned off, the pressure in the fuel system downstream of the pump would drop over time. They also saw some high amp readings going to the fuel pump during operation. They weren't sure if it was the fuel pump or the fuel pump control module, so they replaced both under warranty.

I don't know what the problem was exactly, but if pressure was leaking back across the pump, it may have been a bad check valve. To me, having fuel leak back across the pump would make sense in explaining an issue that only arises during startup. I'm guessing that it just causes the engine to starve for gas while the fuel line is filling up during startup. I've had it back for a few days now with no problems. If I have any more issues, I'll post about it.

This sounds feasible, Don't tune your car in hopes it will fix this issue. Take your car to the dealer and let them diagnose, if they say can't duplicate then tell them the explanation that is posted above. Tell them to test the amps, fuel pressure etc.

If they can't find an issue then tell them ok, this is number 1 for you to find the problem, and since it is happening i am opening a case with VW of A, you have a new car, warranty, they must get to the bottom of this and fix it. Don't Mod your car until this is fixed.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Just got my gti back from the shop. They put ecu update 401 WVW3, 24702599. Not sure what those numbers mean.

Apparently this is the quick fix/tsb that claims to address this rough start condition. They claim to have tested fuel pressure on low and high sides and said it is ok.

On my way home from work, I started it, 2 hours after being shut off, and sure enough, not a normal startup. I mean, it was not the roughest start I've seen, but this doesn't seem normal, does it? I thought to video the start. Link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTRsgL1f4fk

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Check out my latest video of a start-failure, captured on my smartphone.
What's interesting to me is that the temp gauge starts high, then falls noticeably after the stall, then holds steady and starts successfully. Does this sound like a malfunctioning ECT sensor to anybody? Or could it be the result of the water pump cycling the coolant a little bit?

http://youtu.be/mJNRagRh6_M

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
Check out my latest video of a start-failure, captured on my smartphone.
What's interesting to me is that the temp gauge starts high, then falls noticeably after the stall, then holds steady and starts successfully. Does this sound like a malfunctioning ECT sensor to anybody? Or could it be the result of the water pump cycling the coolant a little bit?

http://youtu.be/mJNRagRh6_M

dude. that sounds pretty dam bad. DEFINETLY NOT NORMAL. go back to the dealer and have it sit overnight. this isnt a tractor, it shouldnt start like that. show them the videos.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
So my GTI is back at the shop. I hope they can figure out the problem. I'll post back when I get the word. Capturing the problem on camera seems like it will help them to see what I am experiencing.

To the others that experience this problem, I've got VWoA involved, so hopefully they will eventually issue a TSB to address this issue.

Franz86

Passed Driver's Ed
Happening to manual GTIs as well.

Yea mine is a manual and I have experienced a similar problems 7-8 times now in just the first few weeks of ownership. Occasionaly when I start the car up it will struggle to keep itself running and stall after a second or two if I don't notice it and give it some gas.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Yea mine is a manual and I have experienced a similar problems 7-8 times now in just the first few weeks of ownership. Occasionaly when I start the car up it will struggle to keep itself running and stall after a second or two if I don't notice it and give it some gas.

If you've got the problem, too, I suggest you get in touch with VW of America. The more complaints they receive, the more likely they will be to do the diagnosis to determine the root cause.

I just got a call from the service rep, who told me that VW's best guess at this point is poor quality gasoline. If 93 octane Shell is not good enough, I don't know what is.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Okay just had a great conversation with the service department at my dealer regarding the issue. According to VWoA, they believe they have ruled out mechanical and electronic failures and are blaming gasoline quality. Since the premium fuel is used by fewer vehicles than regular grade, it will sit in the filling station's tanks and age. Again, according to the dealer and VW, the bad fuel has a tendency to separate between heavier and lighter components. The heavier components settling at the bottom of the tank. VW's calibrations must not like this, for whatever reason, and hence there can be a problem.

I'm still skeptical, but I do consistently fill up at a small set of 2 or 3 Shell stations near my house. I am going to try switching stations and fuel brand up. I think I'll go with Chevron, the only other top tier station in the area. I'm not sure if Exxon is top tier? I'm going to be optimistic and give the fuel quality hypothesis a shot. I'll report back here my findings.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
Filled up my tank with chevron 93. Lo and behold, not a single startup problem after one day with the car. I'm not convinced yet, but this seems like an improvement. I wish I had tried this before, but I am starting to believe that there is some formulation difference in the Shell gas that is incompatible with our cars under hot-start conditions. I wish I knew why.

To others with this problem : try chevron or something other than Shell!!!!

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21433
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19541