GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R vs A3 vs GTI

PoorHumble

Ready to race!
I've done some research and can't find a thing. Looking for GTI vs R vs A3 comparos. I guess I'm trying to find similarities, differences, feel, performance, quality of materials, etc.

I understand that R and A3 are AWD but the A3 is similarly powered as the GTI. I'll probably have to test drive an A3. In other news, the Mk7 should debut on Sept 5th. I'm hoping to hold on to my GTI until the Mk8 but I've never succeeded in holding off before.

Cloudburn

Passed Driver's Ed
I took my friends A3 in my stock GTI pretty easily. It got about half a car in front of me off the line then I pulled on him through all the gears. Took about 5 seconds for me to be a full car length ahead. The R will definitely do alright haha

flyboy34

Passed Driver's Ed
GTI vs R

I just picked up my 2013 R last week-trading in my 2011 Stage 2 GTI.

Butt dyno tells me the GTI was faster, however, that will only last until I do stage 1 and 2 to the R.

The handling of the R is much better over the GTI (no suspension work done), the fun factor has also increased for me because I went from DSG to 6MT.

I am very happy overall with the R for having it for a week, but know once I start modding this will definitely put me in the next level.

JSWhaler

Ready to race!
I just bought a 2013 GTi. I was going to get an a3, but after test driving the GTi was more enjoyable. I also felt the interior of the gti was nicer (at least until the new a3 design comes out). I would have bought a Golf R, but it only comes in manual because I'm handicapped I couldn't even bother. If you want. Manual het the R. If you want dsg get the GTi.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Get A3 if you want AWD+DSG, Get R if you want AWD+Manual, get GTI if you want FWD or the fastest straight line speed (from a roll, since FWD sucks at launch) for the least money.

^ well put.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
The R has K04 and FSI so driving characteristic is a bit different... I drove a A3 w/Stronic(dsg) as a rental when my 2010 GTI had to go in for manifold job.

I'll tell you Audi feels plush but the interior design I am not a fan of... I can do without the rounded vents and the dashboard is i bit in the harder side but not necessarily feeling cheaper... Just more to be desired for.
The ride is much smoother and although the trans might be the same I dont think the DSG is as aggressive in shifts. I can be wrong about this but it was just my opinion.

I was really pleased to be back in GTI which at that time had a revo stage 1 and that might be the biggest reason why and maybe the interior... the interior just feels more at home I guess and I like the matriels just a tad bit better on the GTI.

If money and transmission is not an issue I would get the R hands down... K04 and AWD is happiness in my book. The numbers on tuning some of the R's are pretty impressive and you might be able to snag a 12 for a good price

Last edited:

ThatJohnGuy

pppffftttt
I am DEFINITELY HAPPY with my choice. I am only stage 1 with my R right now, but this is the last week. I Dumped it on Koni adjustables and Neuspeed front and Rear sways... this car is (insert word that is greater than... BIRD) I cannot wait to be stage 2+With this suspension. Get the R you will NOT regret it. 0% APR TOO!!!!

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
The Golf-R is the S3 that AoA choose not to sell to us.

Several of us Audi guys purchased the Golf-R as we wanted manual transmission, AWD, Turbo engine, German made, Hatch practicality, and four doors.
AoA don't sell the S4 Avant here, not even the B8 A4 Avant came with manual transmission and event that car is now only sold as the Allroad version.

A3 Sportback is a good looking car, nice interior, TSI engine and DSG only with AWD. But really no compelling reason to get one unless you want DSG. Anyway the next gen A3 (sedan only) will be on the way here next year. Should be a nice car and chassis, but the sedan body does not appeal to everyone. And the same chassis will be the soon to be released mk7 Golf/GTI.

Decision comes down to:
Do you need AWD
Do you need manual or DSG
Do you want the current chassis, or wait for the next gen

PoorHumble

Ready to race!
Love the feedback. I've learned a lot from the posts here. Ive got 13k left on my 2012 payments. Should pay it up in about 16 mos. I'll consider trading in for next gen R.