GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Garble?

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm hearing this freakish garbling noise coming from under the left/middle side of the dash every time the clutch is pushed in a few inches. More evident when I'm upshifting. I've confirmed I only hear it when the clutch is being engaged.

Anyone know what this is? Soundaktor? Car shifts fine otherwise, been like that since I took delivery.

JettaRacer

Passed Driver's Ed
Does it sound like a pop can getting crushed under your foot? My car did that. It goes away once all the parts learn to work with each other.

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
Does it sound like a pop can getting crushed under your foot? My car did that. It goes away once all the parts learn to work with each other.

yea, I can feel a very slight rumble under my foot too, when the clutch is pushed in about 1/4 of the way at the engage point. The whining/gagging sound under the dash is what's noticeable. How many miles on your car? I've got 1500m.

ilimit

Ready to race!
yea, I can feel a very slight rumble under my foot too, when the clutch is pushed in about 1/4 of the way at the engage point. The whining/gagging sound under the dash is what's noticeable. How many miles on your car? I've got 1500m.

I'm almost at 1k and it still does that sometimes -_-

It was more noticeable during the beginning.

JettaRacer

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got. 5500kms on my car now. It now only has typical clutch sounds on engagement. The crunchy sound disappeared after about 800km after I did a number of drives during which I just changed gears repeatedly, probably every 20 seconds, during a 45 min drive around town to get the parts to all break in together. It has been smooth as butter ever since. There is a click near the top of the travel of the pedal motion but that is normal for the pedal assembly.

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
how many miles on it, could it be Throwout bearing going already?

I've got 1,600 miles on my car now. Still does what I described. Shifting response and everything still feels ok though. Doesn't feel like something is broken. But it is noticeable.

hifichip76

Hmm. I think that might be the same thing I just started a thread about. I only have barely 500 miles on mine. Nice to think it will go away as it breaks in. How many miles before yours got better?

Love the car otherwise.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
New parts need some time to bed into each other. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it takes a while. My brakes were noisy at first, my gearbox is still a little tight (that's what she said!), and my clutch chatters a bit (I just passed 600mi). Give it some time, and everything should sort itself out.

Just make sure you let everything warm up to operating temp before you push the car, and remember: These parts wear in faster the more you use them, so go for a drive (like you need to be told that)!

Last edited:

JettaRacer

Passed Driver's Ed
^ what he said.

My clutch noise at first really concerned me. Once I did my break-in drive the strange 'gritch' sound is completely gone. Regular driving will not likely make the 'soft drink tin can crushing' sound go away. You really need to go through a lot of shifts with a warm car to get the pressure plate and throw out bearing to mate. That is my suspicion about that particular noise. When I first had the noise and feeling in the clutch, I felt like my 8 year old clutch on my Nissan 200SX SE-R with a baked and dried out throw out bearing, so I was a bit worried. So as I said, I just drove the car around town for an hour just going up and down through the gears. Just shifting constantly. No hard driving, just regular traffic speeds, but just changing my gear every 15 seconds.

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
^ what he said.

My clutch noise at first really concerned me. Once I did my break-in drive the strange 'gritch' sound is completely gone. Regular driving will not likely make the 'soft drink tin can crushing' sound go away. You really need to go through a lot of shifts with a warm car to get the pressure plate and throw out bearing to mate. That is my suspicion about that particular noise. When I first had the noise and feeling in the clutch, I felt like my 8 year old clutch on my Nissan 200SX SE-R with a baked and dried out throw out bearing, so I was a bit worried. So as I said, I just drove the car around town for an hour just going up and down through the gears. Just shifting constantly. No hard driving, just regular traffic speeds, but just changing my gear every 15 seconds.

I was messing with what's causing the noise again today. If I depress the clutch in while car is moving and put it in a point where it's 1/2 engaged... ONLY when I hit the gas is when I feel a little vibration under my clutch foot and when the sound happens. Is that still consistent with you other guys?

Also, it does seem to go away after about 5miles or so of driving.

Carbon-13

Ready to race!
Mine is definitely noisy when cold. 1st to 2nd shift depress of clutch is very loud and clanky until warmed up. My S2000 was the same way with a little notchiness between 1-2 shift for the first 5 minutes and then was smooth as silk. One of the things that played a part in my decision to want to look at the R was the magazine write-ups which praised such a smooth transmission. I can't say that I totally agree with them. While it is a nice 6spd trans, it falls quite short of expectations of someone like me who came from a previous S2000 6 spd car known for having one of the best manual gearboxes in the industry.

keisuke_z

No way as way...
I've got. 5500kms on my car now. It now only has typical clutch sounds on engagement. The crunchy sound disappeared after about 800km after I did a number of drives during which I just changed gears repeatedly, probably every 20 seconds, during a 45 min drive around town to get the parts to all break in together. It has been smooth as butter ever since. There is a click near the top of the travel of the pedal motion but that is normal for the pedal assembly.

Hey when you say "click" - do you mean the feeling of the pedal popping into place? If so, that's actually not correct - I had my clutch pedal assembly replaced under warranty because of an ill-fitting part...

-yz-1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey when you say "click" - do you mean the feeling of the pedal popping into place? If so, that's actually not correct - I had my clutch pedal assembly replaced under warranty because of an ill-fitting part...

Mine clutch pedal is defenitely not 'notchy' and doesn't 'click'... it doesn't make any noise when it goes up and down actually. fyi.

ilimit

Ready to race!
Anybody else experience this problem? I'm at 1700 and the problem is still here. I moved my seat further back and it seems to ease the garble noise.

Sent from my SGH-T999