GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FRONT SPORT TIRES

rata8a

Passed Driver's Ed
i've been searching about spot tires and found some great ones but are very sensible to potholes and break easily. the other option was to go for some tires that are not as soft but still very expensive. so i saw a miata with front sport tires and rear racing tires and made me think, i have the tires fitted with stock 17" rims and im on a budget to buy some tires.
What would happen if i fitted some pretty good 250$ tires in the front axle and leave the stock tires on the rear?
-can it be dangerous or handle bad or something, you need the grip for accel in the front and not the rear... so for daily use is it okay?

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Don't do it.

The front of your car will act very differently than the rear and can be very dangerous.

I'm not sure what you mean by break easy, but any decent tire will be as resilient to pot holes as any non sport tires.

cleave

Dangerous? Could be. The general rule-of-thumb is for street driving you want the most grip to be in the rear because it is the most dynamically stable. It is safer for the front tires to lose grips first.

In the situation you propose, the rear tires would lose grip before the fronts, making your car tend towards oversteer.

And, usually, you want all four tires to match. Not a good idea to be mixing and matching because you can't afford to upgrade all four. Save up and buy all of them at once.

That being said, you are taking in vague generalities. Broad categories like "sport" and "racing" are almost meaningless. What tires specifically are you looking at? What is your purpose for wanting the new tires? Looks? Handing? Noise? Comfort?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Name it. More specific please.

What tire on front, what tire on rear?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
As far as your question is concerend it's ok to run it. Not ideal, but you won't be at a high risk for damage to mechanical components unless you run different wheels/tires on opposite sides. For traction/driveability i'm sure it has a negative effect in turning, but i suppose in straights it could help.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
From the point of safty three points seem important to me:

1. the tire which is better in the wet should be on rear (don't know if rain is any concern in Mexico)

2. they both shouldn't be too different (R-compounds + all seasons aren't a good idea)

3. the driver should be aware of the difference both in wet and dry

kern417

Go Kart Champion
just get all 4. if you don't have enough cash save up for it. then you can actually rotate your tires properly too. the benefit you think you'll get isn't there.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
PSS are fantastic. :thumbsup:

Try them on front if you want, but a set of four + frequently swapping
them front/rear would be even better.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
I would never recommend mixing tires if it can be avoided, especially of different categories, i.e. summer and all season. I often use the following example: Mixing is kind of like trying to run the 100 yard dash wearing a football cleat on one foot and a high heel on the other. Can it be done, yes, is it a good idea or an efficient way to do things, no.