GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help: Engine shut off while driving

.phase

Ready to race!
Need some help from the motor heads. I was cruising back from a trip up in norcal. Was cruising down the I-5 at about 80mph, and suddenly felt the car slow. no throttle response, car slows to about 60mph and the battery light comes on, like it stalled, but I was just cruising in 6th.

pull over, check battery terminals, fluids, nothing seemed suspicious. start it back up again and everything looks ok. no check engine, nothing.

i was about 260 miles into the trip, temp read at 98 degrees outside. nothing out of the ordinary. car just passed 28k. have been ok up to 400 miles on the trip odo now.

obviously, i'll be giving the dealer a call, but wanted to get a better idea of what went on first in case they try to bs me.

thanks.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Fuel pump died. Is my best guess

.phase

Ready to race!
Fuel pump died. Is my best guess

From what I've read, doesn't seem to be. No engine sputter, no oddness at all from the engine.

I was just cruising and then throttle just died, and engine turned off.

Anyone else got any ideas? Or care to correct and educate my above assumptions?

Thanks.

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
this happen to my wife's car actually recently. Turns out it was the injectors. Audi had a extended warranty issued out for it. This is was on her audi A4 09

A few weeks later her car started to misfire ( when you hit the gas and the car feels sluggish and doesn't have throttle feel anymore and she needed new coils) Car was 65k miles.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Yeah, let's just file a safety report with a government agency without having any idea what's actually causing the problem...

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I guess you had plenty of gas, right? Fuel starvation.

Sounds like a fuel pump, clogged filter

I guess it is at the dealer's, any feedback?

Coolicarboy

Ready to race!
Make sure the battery terminals are tight. If they are, i'm going to assume its something in the fuel system. (hpfp, injectors, etc...)

prospal

Ready to race!
I wouldn't be so quick to say it's the HPFP. When mine went, the car was completely driveable, but was in limp mode (no boost).

Can you put the car in accessory and get the engine scanned for codes?

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
I would hope to find some soft codes in the ECM. Let us know what the dealer says. Don't let them tell you "ooooh, call us back if it happens again..." It is premature to file any safety reports, but this is not an issue to just blow off. Make an appointment.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Any update on this?

I have a mk6 2013 2.0 TDI Golf and as I was slowing down to a stop light on an uphill slope I noticed my car started rolling back and my throttle was dead and the battery light came on (but not flashing). Engine was off. I then put the car in neutral, turned off the ignition, and started the car again and back to normal. All this within 10 seconds (idk how I was moving so quick), but the point is the car started immediately after I shut it off, didnt have to wait a couple minutes or anything. Literally just happened 10 min ago in downtown ATL.

I should also note that all electronics in the car were functioning normally, music playing just as loud and everything.

Car is at 26k miles. Thanks guys - I know this thread is for the 2.0T but thought I'd ask here.

Last edited: