GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Baby's First Build Thread

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
About a month ago I bought my first car and my first VW, a 2012 2-door GTI.

I've done a little bit of tweaking insofar, and I have many more plans. I figured I'd start up a thread here if only to keep track of my progress and share some pretty pictures.

I'm completely and absolutely new to car modifications, i've never so much as changed the oil on a car, so please enjoy me botching anything and everything possible.

----------------

Meet Willow:

----------------
Mods:

Done:
Proformance:
- APR Stage 2 Tune
- Neuspeed P-Flo CAI
- AWE Downpipe
- AWE Catback Exhaust
- H&R 24" Rear 28" Front Sway Bars
- Summer: 18" Radi8 r8b12's & BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
- Winter: 16" Black Steelies & Firestone Winterforces
- R8 Ignition Coils
- Autometer boost gauge

Cosmetic:
- Yakima Whispbar
- Rokblox MudFlaps
- Smoked Side Markers
- Red Footwell LEDs
- Black Matte Front/Rear Emblems & Badges
- 35% Tint all around

Up Next:
- coilovers???

Last edited:

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
PlastiDipped Emblems

Spent the bulk of my Saturday disassembling the front grille to get that emblem out. Hot damn that was a pain. Left the red stripes out for the moment. Can't decide what color to paint them. Ninja mode for now.

Last edited:

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
Smoked Side Markers

Every video everywhere just popped those the little covers inside the wheel well right off to get at the back of the markers. I had to take the back of a hammer to them before they came loose.

Looks much better without that awful orange now though.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Welcome!

First off, relax... its NOT an automatic, its a kick-a$$ dual clutch transmission. Many of us here (including myself) run it and love it. Give it sometime to get used to it, get familiar with manual mode and the car takes on a whole different feeling. Besides its faster then the manual and you won't have clutch issues should you ever decide to mod your car further (power-wise).

Next, there is SO much information on this site and most of the people are very friendly and helpful, so don't be afraid to ask if you feel your about to "botch" something on your car.

Last, you have great taste as we have the same car just different years. I see your from the 'Burgh too so maybe I'll see you around sometime.

Have fun!

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the kind words! This forum has been super helpful already.

I live in Cleveland, but I grew up in Pittsburgh so most of my family and friends are there so i'm around pretty often. Look for the Ohio "Zalani" plates!

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
Red Footwell LEDs

Grabbed these from DeAutoKey. They work great, so much brighter!

Hoping to do a nice shoot of my car this weekend, but we'll see if this wonderful weather breaks.

SCH5500

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats on the car! Look forward to watching your progress...

BTW, Amon Amarth ftw....

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Congrats & welcome!

I would highly suggest starting here for modding:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36928

I came from a 6MT MK6 GTI (see V1 in my sig) and went to DSG--I'm a huge fan. It handles more power, don't have to worry about replacing the clutch (commonly fails with power mods), shifts faster than a manual, and it gets better gas mileage. Boom--winning.

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
GDI

Someone left me this lovely present on my rear fender for my 2 month anniversary with my GTI.

Their lovely child slammed their door into my car, no doubt. My fender usually lines up with a 4 door's backseat. They left some of their white paint behind.

So pissed.

My fault for not parking at the verrrrrry end of the lot, i suppose.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
OUCH!!!! That's horrible!!!

A few comments for you:
1.) welcome and you are off to a nice start:thumbsup:
2.) stay in "ninja" mode or plastidip the red stripes the same color as your emblem.
3.) the footwells tend to go bad due to surges in electricity when accelerating so I'd turn the brightness down a bit to help them last longer. My gf has the red in here gti and we are on the third set already. Deautokey has warrantied everytime but it's just a hassle to keep changing. She insists on full brightness and I can't stop her:laugh:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Some people don't give a shit about others property and think they're okay. I know a few people that are like that and they feel no remorse, they think it's just a car.

On bright side is an easy fix, find a local paintless dent remover. Those should cost atleast $100.

Last edited:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Someone left me this lovely present on my rear fender for my 2 month anniversary with my GTI.

Their shitty crotch fruit slammed their door into my car, no doubt. My fender usually lines up with a 4 door's backseat. They left some of their white paint behind.

So fucking pissed.

My fault for not parking at the verrrrrry end of the lot, i suppose.

Ugh, that sucks! And I agree with the other poster that some people just don't care (especially young children).

Its tough to judge the dent from the photos but either way since its on a crease it cannot be pulled. If it really bothers you an option is to pull the tire and the inner fender liner (only held on by a few torx screws) place a small block of wood, preferably one that has a rounded edge and lightly start tapping with a hammer from the backside to see if you can get something to pop back out a bit. It might not be perfection but you might be able to pop a good portion back out. The scratched portion can be touched up using Dr. Colorchip touch up paint match system.

Of course only do this if you are comfortable doing so.

Tiggy1

Go Kart Champion
Welcome! just like you, when i first got my car, i didn't know anything! this forum is a huge help. Just watch out for some people.. peer pressure is a bit*h on here..

if you need any help, feel free to PM me...

Also... BACON FENDERS FTW!!! (Bacon fenders is a result of damaged or "wavey" fenders due to impact from other beings, or if you're a Hardass and run aggressive wheels like me!)

Anyway, Congrats on the car, if i had a gti, i would have gotten DSG (automatic) hands down. Get an exhaust on it and listen to the farts you will get.. WORTH IT....

PS: Go Revo for the tune ;)