GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally happened... sagging headliner on my 2011 GTI.

Uberryan

Banned
So I got a call back from my service adviser today, telling me that they dropped the old headliner and discovered the wiring harnesses for the lights/switches were damaged. Keep in mind that I suspected originally that this was all due to humidity and heat, but it looks more and more like my sunroof has an irrigation problem, causing the issues. That said, they are having to order new wiring harnesses for me as well.

Keep in mind that I've never taken apart any portion of the roof ever, for anything. Not the sunroof, the lighting domes, nothing.

NoPants

Passed Driver's Ed
Mines a Golf Base model, 2010 and it began to peel of the headliner, it's gotten much worst to the point that it's sagging just as the picture of the threat starter. Of course I'm out of warranty and VWoA wont cover it, called a local headliner place that was well aware of the issue and explained as to the material used and depth. According to him, it's called prizm material, most places just use aftermarket so the problem will be persistent. It's going to cost me $385 installed. Never again VW never again.

Uberryan

Banned
Mines a Golf Base model, 2010 and it began to peel of the headliner, it's gotten much worst to the point that it's sagging just as the picture of the threat starter. Of course I'm out of warranty and VWoA wont cover it, called a local headliner place that was well aware of the issue and explained as to the material used and depth. According to him, it's called prizm material, most places just use aftermarket so the problem will be persistent. It's going to cost me $385 installed. Never again VW never again.

They should cover it. I spoke to Amber at VWOA. Said she has seen this a lot on cars roughly 3+ years old.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
This just happened to my 2010 GTI at 62k miles, on the same spot.

I put some cloth like tape around it to hold it up for now.

Will see shops and do an alcantara headliner.

Like this..

Boosted_2.0

Ready to race!
So I got a call back from my service adviser today, telling me that they dropped the old headliner and discovered the wiring harnesses for the lights/switches were damaged. Keep in mind that I suspected originally that this was all due to humidity and heat, but it looks more and more like my sunroof has an irrigation problem, causing the issues. That said, they are having to order new wiring harnesses for me as well.

Keep in mind that I've never taken apart any portion of the roof ever, for anything. Not the sunroof, the lighting domes, nothing.

My sunvisor light never worked on my MK6, and I found the wire was CUT in the roof from the factory. I never fixed that before I got rid of it. So it does happen from the factory no doubt.

tavorh

Ready to race!
My dad has a 1975 dodge charger sitting in his driveway, under a car cover of course, but has the original interior and headliner still in place. No droops or sags anywhere. He lives a total of 90 miles SOUTH (so hotter and more moist) of me. I made sure I told VW this as a near 40 year old car has held up in the Florida heat better than their 3 year old "superior interior" quality GTI tiers.

No fuq u quid.

I know of a few shops nearby, but I'd just go for the stock material. The entire headliner had to be dropped in my MKV when replaced because the material apparently stretches out. If they can make it look new and just re-glue it, fine, but they might wanna drop and re-glue the entire thing because I'll be back at their door if it happens in a different spot later on.

Hey man I just got this problem too and I am located in Fort Laud too. Did you find any good shops to do this work? How much did they charge? My car is not under warranty so Gunther most likely will charge me a lot. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Uberryan

Banned
Hey man I just got this problem too and I am located in Fort Laud too. Did you find any good shops to do this work? How much did they charge? My car is not under warranty so Gunther most likely will charge me a lot. Any suggestions are appreciated.

In all honesty, I would send a message to VWOA via their e-mail on their website. Tell them you are aware of several MK6 GTIs that have had sagging headliners replaced inside and outside of the bumper to bumper warranty in your region. You are looking to be treated just as fairly being a Volkswagen customer. You can also disclose a potential mounting class-action in efforts to force a recall or TSB/warranty extension on said item as this is a weak point in their interior design. They should know that by now since it has been problematic since the MKIVs, but they still can't get it right. It's a pretty expensive fix with OEM material, so you really want them to cover it for you unless you go with aftermarket stuff, which isn't my cup of tea.

willmk4

Go Kart Champion
Damn mine started doing the same around the front dome lights, where the sunlight holder thing is.. If getting it fixed though VW with the OEM stuff is going to be crazy expensive I'm going to duct tape that shit .. Don't got money for that right now honestly.

bequietanddrive

Ready to race!
I'm here in Tampa guys and had this exact same issue in my 2010 GTI. VW was useless and basically told me that I was on my own, and wouldn't help me at all with the repair (I had 70k miles). I found a local auto upholstery shop with a great reputation here and had them replace the headliner with black suede. It would have been $225 for an aftermarket match to OEM, and only $300 to upgrade to suede. It was a no brainer to me! Here's the results:

It looks slightly grey in this photo but it is indeed black. I would recommend this route to anyone rather than taking it to VW (unless it's on their dime, of course) but to me it was totally worth it.

stradovinski

Passed Driver's Ed
This just happened to me as well. That pic from OP might as well be from my car. Granted my car is almost 6 years old now and I also live in FL, but I've been in plenty of cars in my 20 years since moving here, and I can say I'm the first amongst my friends to have a headliner issue.

Same thing happened in my diesel Rabbit back in the 80's. Sad they haven't made any progress with this in all those years.

Any recommendations where to go in the Fort Myers/Naples area? Thanks

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Hey focal point same thing just happened to my 2012 Gti with only 32,000 and its parked under a carport during most of the day.

What dealer replaced yours and did they do a good job? They break or scratch anything in the process? How long did it take them to do? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waiting281

geez, are you me? Golf Base 5mt, black, sagging headliner just like in OP's pictures...

$385??? Oh no, I can't afford that, is there no way to do a temporary spot repair? It doesn't need to look perfect, but I'd like to enjoy FL's winter weather while it lasts with the windows down...:(

Uberryan

Banned
geez, are you me? Golf Base 5mt, black, sagging headliner just like in OP's pictures...

$385??? Oh no, I can't afford that, is there no way to do a temporary spot repair? It doesn't need to look perfect, but I'd like to enjoy FL's winter weather while it lasts with the windows down...:(

The longer you let it go with temp fixes, the further it spreads, especially with the windows down. You'll want to just pull it all down, which doesn't take much to do, or you'll want to fix it asap.