GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

16" steelies for winter and upgraded brakes?

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Looking for info from anyone who runs 16" steel wheels for winter, and has upgraded brakes? The car I bought has TTRS brakes and 18" wheels with spacers. I would like to drop down to 17" for summer, and run steelies in the winter. To do this, I will have to get rid of the TTRS calipers and rotors. I would like any suggestions on something that will easily fit under the 16's (no spacer preferably), but will also have good stopping power. The car is uni stage 2, so I would like something better than stock. But if it comes to it, I will probably be looking to buy a stock setup and sell the TTRS setup.

zrickety

The Fixer
I run the tyrolsport stiffening collars with upgraded rotors and pads in stock calipers. Worked great at the track FWIW.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
You're not going to be able to run any upgraded caliper or rotors with 16's. Stock is about the only thing that will fit. Upgrade your pads to stoptech pads and that will have a lot better of a feel than the stock pads.

I run the tyrolsport stiffening collars with upgraded rotors and pads in stock calipers. Worked great at the track FWIW.

I figured as much, just from looking around here. Thought maybe something had changed since the posts that were previously referencing it were all about 4-5 years old. Most of them say to upgrade to SS lines, stoptech or hawk street pads, and stoptech powerslots. The powerslots seem to be the same size as OEM rotors if I am not mistaken?!? So this would fit the 16" with stock calipers correct? Now I just need to find some stock calipers. I also need to figure out what the TTRS setup is worth and get it sold to pay for the downgrade....:cry:

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Idk how big the ttrs calipers are, but I run boxster brakes with steelies and spacers

Not sure on the exact measurements, but I know it has 18"s right now and fairly large spacers. I was not the one who added these parts and have no history of what has been done to the car, so I am solving these mysteries as they pop up.