GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spindle/strut housing replacement

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Yesterday i was swapping out my Koni strt shock with koni yellows, taking the old shocks out was breeze, thanks to PB blaster and the strut spreader tool. Now i was installing the new shocks and I noticed on the passenger side that the spindle housing the part where you insert the spreader tool was start to eat away on the inside. It is rusted. So I wasn't able to spread it open all the way for it to slide it. Long story short i was able to spread it apart with a big screw driver. Im guessing im going to have to replace then sometime soon.

Can anyone point me me the right direction?
Is there a guild to replace them? I was looking but cant seem to fine any. Thank you

P.s my car was built in and was driven Germany, i know because of the service interval that was in the glove box. So im guessing that caused the rusting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You're overthinking it...it's gonna take forever for that to fully rust thru.
Our cars here, in the salt belt, have far more rust & hold up fine.

The strut bolt will hold it all together too, if you over spread the spindle.

You can post pics if you want, but it's probably fine

For example:

Last edited:

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
You're overthinking it...it's gonna take forever for that to fully rust thru.

Our cars here, in the salt belt, have far more rust & hold up fine.

The strut bolt will hold it all together too, if you over spread the spindle.

You can post pics if you want, but it's probably fine

For example:

Ill post some pictures as soon as i can. When i was doing the front driver side. When turning the spreader tool there was flakes falling through. Its not a very bug issue because i don't think I'm going to change my setup. But it is something I would want to fix down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk