GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H&R for mk5 on mk6?

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
I just got a chance to pull of the wheel to see what the car I bought has on it for suspension. I knew it had something aftermarket on it, as it was tucking the tires about half an inch. When I pulled the wheel off I saw it had H&r coilovers set to the lowest setting. I am hoping I can just buy a spanner wrench and raise it back up. I drive in an area where the roads and weather are a real big factor. I have never done much more than change the oil on a car before, so this is all new to me. I did see a metal rod just kind of swinging around back there when I took the wheel off. I think it is the endlink to the front Sway Bar. I will try to upload a picture if I can. Now, would that have come off on its own, or did the previous owner remove it so it would go lower? Also, the sticker says mk5 golf, but they are on a mk6? Not sure if they were modified or if it is the same size/fit for both. Anyone with info on this would be very helpful.

Attachments

• 14891001653700.jpg
    14891001653700.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 124

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
That's the end link in the background. Should be attached through the hole you can see in the top right of the photo.

Mk5 coilovers should work fine. The spring rates may be slightly different, but no modification needed to make them fit.

You can raise them, but you'll need an alignment after.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
That's the end link in the background. Should be attached through the hole you can see in the top right of the photo.

Mk5 coilovers should work fine. The spring rates may be slightly different, but no modification needed to make them fit.

That's what I thought about the end link, but do you think the previous owner just left it off so he could get lower? Also, whit the car jacked up I tried to swing the end link over to that hole but it looked like the hole was a good 3 inches lower than the length of the rod. Will this be rectified by me raising the coilover up, or do I have to do something else. Seems like if I force it in the hole it will just make it so the end link is supporting the weight and not the coilover.

Also, I think these are ultra lows, but I'm not sure. I want to raise this cars ride height back up to around a 1 finger gap. Will that even be possible with these?

Last edited:

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Also, does anyone know where to buy the spanner wrenches to adjust these coilovers? I have looked on amazon, but the ones they sell aren't specific for h&r and most are very low rated.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!

Does anyone know if the end link nut is just a standard nut, or if it is some kind of specialized nut that I have to replace it with and what size? As you can see in the picture I just have the end link swinging free. Do I need some kind of washer, perhaps on one side or both? Also, if I have the ultra lows spun all the way up, will the stock end links be alright or do I need to get shorter aftermarket ones?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
N0150816 is the part number for the nut, no washer or anything is needed...just the nut

Apply some anti-seize on the endlink threads and then tighten the nut down with a 18mm socket

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
N0150816 is the part number for the nut, no washer or anything is needed...just the nut

Apply some anti-seize on the endlink threads and then tighten the nut down with a 18mm socket

Thank you sir. Wish I was in your region of MI. I am going to be ordering some HPA SHS's on your recommendation, and have seen in the forum that your the man to talk to about installation. Sadly, it would be like an 8+ hour drive. Looks like I will be forced to learn a new skill. :)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thank you sir. Wish I was in your region of MI. I am going to be ordering some HPA SHS's on your recommendation, and have seen in the forum that your the man to talk to about installation. Sadly, it would be like an 8+ hour drive. Looks like I will be forced to learn a new skill. :)

I will take that all as a compliment. ;)

Since you have the H&R Ultra Lows....it'll be a relatively easy swap though, since the coilovers are so much shorter than stock.

Pull the strut pinch bolt & the strut mount bolts and the coilover strut will come right out (after opening the spindle with the strut spreader bit)

Assemble the new struts & then drop the new coilover "strut" in, and lift the control arm up with floor jack and tighten it all down.

The rears are even easier. Just swap the upper shock mounts to the new shocks & then put the springs/perches in the LCA.

It's a nice setup :thumbsup:

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
I will take that all as a compliment. ;)

Since you have the H&R Ultra Lows....it'll be a relatively easy swap though, since the coilovers are so much shorter than stock.

Pull the strut pinch bolt & the strut mount bolts and the coilover strut will come right out (after opening the spindle with the strut spreader bit)

Assemble the new struts & then drop the new coilover "strut" in, and lift the control arm up with floor jack and tighten it all down.

The rears are even easier. Just swap the upper shock mounts to the new shocks & then put the springs/perches in the LCA.

It's a nice setup :thumbsup:

Yeah, it looked like it might not be that hard. Just have to learn some of these parts and how to do it. Thankfully there is youtube. Ok, stupid question time. :) I thought the spindle was the top part of the coil, that held the spring on and mounted to the top. Judging by what you are saying, I am guessing I am wrong?

Also when you say "lift the control arm up with a jack", will that be affected by were my jack stands are?

I am assuming that the point were the jack stands are, is immobile and wont stop me from jacking up the control arm separately?

The 2 biggest questions I have for you is:
Is there any specialized tools I need to have for this? You mentioned a strut spreader bit. Is there anything else I should get before I get started? All I currently have is a simple mechanics tool set, i.e. about a million different ratchets and wrenches. The other question is, I have seen how some bolts are meant to be 1 times use only. Is there any bolts, or other parts I should be looking at replacing as long as I have everything apart? Just for reference, I bought new wheels, tires, and brakes as well. I am doing this all at once. I will be mounting new stoptech rotors and stoptech pads in stock GTI calipers I bought on Ebay, replacing the ultra lows with HPA's, and installing the new wheels and rubber. But since this is already going to be a fairly large project for me as a first timer, I figured I would replace anything else that is recommended at this time too. Go big or go home, right?

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Oh man...

The spindle is where the strut sits in (at the base of the strut)
You need a strut spreader bit (google it): http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm
(some people use a chisel to open it, which is crude, or a 1/4" ratchet btw)

You can use a 3/8" extension, but a M14 triple square works better for the strut bolt
You might/probably need a M6 triple square for the swaybar end link

Once the car is on jackstands (like in the pic above)....the control arm is unaffected & you can put a jack underneath it still

See here:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67825
&
Here for tools needed/more info:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12098

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Oh man...

The spindle is where the strut sits in (at the base of the strut)
You need a strut spreader bit (google it): http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm
(some people use a chisel to open it, which is crude, or a 1/4" ratchet btw)

You can use a 3/8" extension, but a M14 triple square works better for the strut bolt
You might/probably need a M6 triple square for the swaybar end link

Once the car is on jackstands (like in the pic above)....the control arm is unaffected & you can put a jack underneath it still

See here:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67825
&
Here for tools needed/more info:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12098

Dude, thank you so much. I have been watching tons of videos and it seems pretty straight forward. The DIY you linked will come in handy. I saw it on a search once, but assusmed by the title that they were just putting lowering springs in and that it didn't fully pertain to me.

A couple questions about the tools and parts in the links provided.
One of the parts listed was the suspension limiter. I checked ECS for the part number provided, and came up with these yellow circle things. Do I need these if I am buying used HPA's? If so, where do they go? Also, not sure if HPA's come with built in bump stops, or if I am supposed to re-use factory ones? The other link said to put some tape to make the rearward hole after removing from the strut tower. I am assuming that the HPAs will only go in correctly 1 way so the endlink mount is in the back, so this step would not be needed right? Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I like to know about all the possible places I could screw up when I do new things.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You do NOT need the suspension limiters (not needed at all on any install, some gimmick by VW)

HPA's come with their own dust boots with bump stops

The tab on the front coilover struts will face inwards towards the engine (just how your current coilovers are), no tape needed.

Maybe they meant using tape to mark the orientation of the strut mounts.
Those have to be installed with the arrows on the mount facing in towards the engine as well (so line it up with the endlink tab) before installing