GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock to Stage 2

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Thanks for the responses, and yeah I really think about just going stage 1 any day every day. I haven’t yet because I keep telling myself don’t do anything that could ruin the warranty ha yet here I am with a downpipe on the way.

Also I had decided on APR because I live 15 mins from the headquarters, but I’ve been looking more and more into a Cobb port with a stratified tune. It’s the only other tune I’m really considering. Still doing my research, but it seems like APR puts more power down. The access port really does seem appealing however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look into APR’s APR+ warranty. It covers all of the tuned components on the car. Only reason I didn’t do it was because they didn’t offer it at the time.

http://www.goaprplus.com/#golf_gti

Edit: looks like it might only match the term length on your factory warranty, I’m not sure if that includes a cpo warranty. Couldn’t hurt to ask though.

Last edited:

pdan

Ready to race!
Look into APR’s APR+ warranty. It covers all of the tuned components on the car. Only reason I didn’t do it was because they didn’t offer it at the time.

http://www.goaprplus.com/#golf_gti

Edit: looks like it might only match the term length on your factory warranty, I’m not sure if that includes a cpo warranty. Couldn’t hurt to ask though.

I briefly looked into this, I thought it only was offered on new vehicles purchased through those dealers. Not sure, but I’m leaning towards a stratified tune now because of all the drivability issues the APR guys are talking about.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I was Stage2 on stock clutch with no slippage for about a year before my stock turbo blew.

The worse part was I then decided to go straight to K04 upgrade instead of replacing stocker and then I had to put out more upfront because I never upgraded the clutch for Stg2. I mean honestly, it helps in the long run if do have any K04 plans crossing your mind because that is 1 less part to buy/install during the K04 process, lol.

pdan

Ready to race!
I was Stage2 on stock clutch with no slippage for about a year before my stock turbo blew.

The worse part was I then decided to go straight to K04 upgrade instead of replacing stocker and then I had to put out more upfront because I never upgraded the clutch for Stg2. I mean honestly, it helps in the long run if do have any K04 plans crossing your mind because that is 1 less part to buy/install during the K04 process, lol.

Yeah, told myself I wasn’t gonna go K04. Now after having the car for a year.....possible future plans eventually ha.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I told myself i was gonna go k04 when i got the car... now 4 years later and im "only" stage 2... and honestly dont see myself spending more money on this car besides maintenance and maybe suspension/wheels.

Im not so much into the race mentality anymore... but i would be willing to spend that 3k on a k04 kit/install on some coilovers and wheels to look good while riding around now a days. (no i dont mean stanced just lowered and some nice wheels)

That being said i came in to this car not being able to wait to go k04 or big turbo and talking all this trash to my friends about getting a k04 before them.... then as it happens i was the slowest to start modding lol... I mean i can "afford" it but at the same time its not really a smart investment for me personally... i already get enough smiles to miles with the stage 2.

pdan

Ready to race!
Yeah I’m still not sure what I’ll end up doing eventually. I’m still driving stock, so stage 2 might just give me enough without going ko4. One reason I can see if I plan on keeping the car for a long time and get used to a stage 2 tune

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Yeah I’m still not sure what I’ll end up doing eventually. I’m still driving stock, so stage 2 might just give me enough without going ko4. One reason I can see if I plan on keeping the car for a long time and get used to a stage 2 tune

I’m stage 1+ and was in the same boat as you. Didn’t want to tune because of the clutch eventually I said F it and got it. So upset I didn’t do it before. I really want to go stage 2 but I know for a fact I’m pushing the clutch now and stage 2 will definitely make it slip. And also don’t want to deal with inspection with an aftermarket DP.

pdan

Ready to race!
I know this topic has been beaten to death quite a bit, but trying to see if anybody with CBFA has had any more luck with using spacers to cheat the downpipe cat code. I installed the RAI motor sports spacer with the middle jet pointing towards the rear of the car, cleared the code and was fine for 250 or so miles. CEL came back this morning, assuming it’s for the cat code again.

I know the best thing is to get a tune, but currently don’t have the cash to pay for tune plus clutch. Probably gonna go with stratified and see if they can get me a low torque tune so the OEM clutch can handle it but also code out the last o2 sensor.

Anyone else have luck with using a difference size jet or putting a spacer on the pre cat o2 sensor??

CHerna

Ready to race!
Don't know about CFBA, as I'm CCTA, but Stratified can turn the CEL off.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Ran the $30 spacer off UroTuning, never threw a code

pdan

Ready to race!
Ran the $30 spacer off UroTuning, never threw a code

Did you run it off the last o2 sensor??

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Did you run it off the last o2 sensor??

thats the only one you should be.. The first one is important for Air fuel ratio....IIRC

pdan

Ready to race!
thats the only one you should be.. The first one is important for Air fuel ratio....IIRC

Technically the middle one for CBFA right?The first is on the turbo right? And yeah I remember reading that the pre cat sensor is actually responsible for doing stuff, yet I also read that people had spaced it. I’m not gonna run the risk of screwing with it. Probably just gonna save for an access port with a stratified tune with a low torque output for the clutches sake and have them code out the sensor.