GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P2015 Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal

P2015

The MIL came up two days ago. Scanned the car and found the following fault code:

1 Fault Found:
008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal
P2015 - 000 - - - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 9
Mileage: 52594 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 09:28:00

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3315 /min
Load: 44.3 %
Speed: 67.0 km/h
Temperature: 93.0癈
Temperature: 21.0癈
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.097 V

Readiness: 0010 0001

Searched around and found the solution might be replacing the intake manifold, just wanna see if any one have more input?

Been stage three since 25K for abt 7k miles, current odometer reads 32k.

Thanks!

I know I'm being up an old thread but the first time I had P2015 pop up I'd just got my 2011 GTi and was doing the 40k service on it at 41k miles, when picking up my MK6 the engine light was on and it was the intake manifold. I walked back in and found out the issue and it was all to be covered under warranty with the promise of the newer parts installed so it wouldn't happen again. I had the flush the carbon out then too cause it was advised and after reading the forums I realized it would have to be done at some point and I'd save money doing it at the same time.

Right after that I went and got a custom exhaust put in, gave it a tune up with R8 coil packs installed and went stage 1 APR tune, I f*ck*ng love the tune, I mean it fixed my issues with the clutch that didn't really feel like a clutch before and gave it the torque that it should have come stock with. Being in Cali I want to go stage 2 but don't wanna switch things back to pass smog every other year.

But now less than 9k miles later, just before I reached 50k miles, I mean I'm at 49950 as of today, I got the damn code again. First dealership wanted me to pay to just do a diagnostic and I was like WTF and left. 2nd dealership, the one that did the original intake manifold swap took it and said they've never had to do this work twice and said it would be ready tonight. They never mentioned my tune but I was wondering, do you think the tune was putting to much pressure on the intake manifold? I figure not because it was cleaned out and I mean these manifolds can't be that weak, can they?

It says it's covered they 120k and my 2011 only has 50k but at one point I have to believe that there has to be better parts to instal if it happens again. Frustrated yes but I feel lucky they didn't bring up the tune lol :happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

BREWZER

Passed Driver's Ed
:happyanim::happyanim:Just got mine replaced under warranty at the dealership. Paid 180 for carbon cleaning

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
P2015

I reached 55k miles on my rig and it threw the P2015 code this last weekend :( Based on the information on this forum, I felt confident the dealer would replace the intake manifold under warranty. I removed my catch-can set up and boost gauge line to avoid any grumbling from the dealer and dropped it off yesterday. I left the Neuspeed air intake on though. They were cool about the whole situation and notified me that it would be covered under warranty. They suggested to have the carbon cleaning done while the manifold was removed. I expected and agreed to paid for this. Also had the new water-pump installed per the recall notice based on my VIN. Picked it up today and all is good :thumbup: I'll try to reinstall my catch-can and boost gauge line tonight.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I reached 55k miles on my rig and it threw the P2015 code this last weekend :( Based on the information on this forum, I felt confident the dealer would replace the intake manifold under warranty. I removed my catch-can set up and boost gauge line to avoid any grumbling from the dealer and dropped it off yesterday. I left the Neuspeed air intake on though. They were cool about the whole situation and notified me that it would be covered under warranty. They suggested to have the carbon cleaning done while the manifold was removed. I expected and agreed to paid for this. Also had the new water-pump installed per the recall notice based on my VIN. Picked it up today and all is good :thumbup: I'll try to reinstall my catch-can and boost gauge line tonight.

No issue with the tune on the warranty?

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
No issue with the tune on the warranty?

No! They didn't ask if I was chipped/tuned so I didn't tell :D

Actually...he asked...."Are you modded?"....my response.."I have an intake."

It's the same dealer I bought the GTI from and the same two service advisors have been there since which had been helpful with two of my older warranties and complementary routine services. (Radiator and water pump replacement at ~25k)

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. I thought they always run that guided fault test and td1 flag your car if it's tuned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

fflemke22

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2013 has this stupid code...on my own cuz the extended coverage doesn't apply to my year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John in Ohio

Latest intake, but still P2015! Good vacuum... Any ideas?

So I've installed the latest intake manifold - 06J-133-201-BH or 06J133201BH - and I still have the dreaded P2015 fault... Using OBDeleven, I can see engine data address 143 field 3 show 99% after I drive it and get over 3000rpm, so it seems that the vacuum is OK. I've visibly verified the two vacuum lines are not kinked under the driver's side of the intake, too, but the CEL will come on almost immediately while driving the car after clearing the fault.

*EDIT* There's 45,000 miles on the car

Here's some background on the data, from the AllData information:
Condition: MIL-ON and 1 or more of the following diagnostic codes may be stored in ECM fault memory.

Technical Background
Vacuum lines and "T" fittings may become clogged with debris from production or increasing mileage. This debris may cause a restriction that could affect the intake manifold operation and cause the following P2014, P2015 faults.

Production Solution
N/A

Service
Ensure correct intake manifold is installed on engine, refer to ETKA.
The intake manifold runner can be checked for proper operation using MVB 143 field 3.
The vehicle must be driven in order to place a load on the engine.
The engine RPM should be quickly increased to at least 3000 RPM and released. MVB 143 field 3 value should immediately change from 0% up to 100%.
If the values in field 3 instantly change to 100%, the hose and fittings are not restricted. If no restriction has been identified, this bulletin does not apply. Continue GFF based diagnosis.
If there is a restriction, the values in field 3 will slowly increase or not increase at all. Inspect vacuum lines leading to intake manifold, and fittings, for restrictions (twisted, kinked hoses or blockages caused by debris).
Reposition or clean as required.

[I've de-carbon-ed the intake valves, too, fixing a terrible misfire condition (and eating about 3 hours in the process).]

The car drives great but that stupid light is on... Any other ideas on how to eliminate this fault?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So I've installed the latest intake manifold - 06J-133-201-BH or 06J133201BH - and I still have the dreaded P2015 fault... Using OBDeleven, I can see engine data address 143 field 3 show 99% after I drive it and get over 3000rpm, so it seems that the vacuum is OK. I've visibly verified the two vacuum lines are not kinked under the driver's side of the intake, too, but the CEL will come on almost immediately while driving the car after clearing the fault.

Here's some background on the data, from the AllData information:
Condition: MIL-ON and 1 or more of the following diagnostic codes may be stored in ECM fault memory.

Technical Background
Vacuum lines and "T" fittings may become clogged with debris from production or increasing mileage. This debris may cause a restriction that could affect the intake manifold operation and cause the following P2014, P2015 faults.

Production Solution
N/A

Service
Ensure correct intake manifold is installed on engine, refer to ETKA.
The intake manifold runner can be checked for proper operation using MVB 143 field 3.
The vehicle must be driven in order to place a load on the engine.
The engine RPM should be quickly increased to at least 3000 RPM and released. MVB 143 field 3 value should immediately change from 0% up to 100%.
If the values in field 3 instantly change to 100%, the hose and fittings are not restricted. If no restriction has been identified, this bulletin does not apply. Continue GFF based diagnosis.
If there is a restriction, the values in field 3 will slowly increase or not increase at all. Inspect vacuum lines leading to intake manifold, and fittings, for restrictions (twisted, kinked hoses or blockages caused by debris).
Reposition or clean as required.

[I've de-carbon-ed the intake valves, too, fixing a terrible misfire condition (and eating about 3 hours in the process).]

The car drives great but that stupid light is on... Any other ideas on how to eliminate this fault?

Many thanks in advance!

Have the intake manifold replaced? What miles are on the car?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I saw a guy on fb that had a similar problem, new intake mani and still had a p2015 and he found out he had a vacuum line switched around.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I saw a guy on fb that had a similar problem, new intake mani and still had a p2015 and he found out he had a vacuum line switched around.

I must have read his post wrong last night because after re-reading it I'm like oh he already did lol. My bad lol.