GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Lock Help

John in Ohio

So... I have a new-to-me GTI, and the Wheel Lock Key didn't come with the car. My dealer can't get me in for **another month**. Does anyone have a key that they would sell me?

I've got 18" Detroit wheels. It seems that it's impossible to use the "drive the 12-point 23mm socket over the locking lug bolt" method to remove these bolts - my socket won't fit in the hole in the wheel.

Many thanks in advance!

And I've added a better picture of the lug

Attachments

• Wheel Lug - Small and Bright.JPG
    Wheel Lug - Small and Bright.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

Renck

Ready to race!
So... I have a new-to-me GTI, and the Wheel Lock Key didn't come with the car. My dealer can't get me in for another month. Does anyone have a key that they would sell me?

I've got 18" Detroit wheels. It seems that it's impossible to use the "drive the 12-point 23mm socket over the locking lug bolt" method to remove these bolts - my socket won't fit in the hole in the wheel.

Many thanks in advance!

That's odd, your dealer should be able to remove the lug nut and then you can buy another cheap set with them (no need to wait).

I faced the same problem and that was the solution offered at my local dealer.

Otherwise, you can use something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UBO-M980-Emergency-Lug-Nut-Removal-Set-USA/568869261?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=8729&adid=22222222227079170958&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=193400558077&wl4=pla-306934093565&wl5=9010767&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115782129&wl11=online&wl12=568869261&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item

Or, if you are brave enough:

https://youtu.be/mJNz4M3K8qc

Good luck!

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
That's odd, your dealer should be able to remove the lug nut and then you can buy another cheap set with them (no need to wait).

I faced the same problem and that was the solution offered at my local dealer.

Otherwise, you can use something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UBO-M980...nline&wl12=568869261&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item

Or, if you are brave enough:

https://youtu.be/mJNz4M3K8qc

Good luck!

Lol guy in video sounds like he's on helium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The dealer "should" have a master key set for the locks and be able to AT LEAST remove them for you

Then find regular bolts or a new set of locks to replace them

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
^^^^ this.

gtikc

Passed Driver's Ed
The wheel locks are a huge pain in the ass! I recently had a new set installed after my old set would not loosen. Once installed , I also could not get the new set to loosen when i needed the wheel off. The dealer does tend to over torque though. I also scratched my brand new wheel repeatedly struggling with the key slipping off.

I would recommend you have the dealer remove them and replace with regular lug nuts if you aren't parking in risky areas. Thats what i did. I just don't trust they will come off if I'm stranded somewhere and need to change to the spare. Besides, any good thief worth his salt will be able to steal your wheels even with the locks. The key also seems to be made of a softer metal thats easy to strip and wear out over time, leaving you in a jam, or searching to replace if lost, like you are now.

Just my two cents.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
If you post a better picture I can compare yours with mine. I don't use them as I find that they are a real pain. Where in Ohio are you?

Renck

Ready to race!
If you post a better picture I can compare yours with mine. I don't use them as I find that they are a real pain. Where in Ohio are you?

He attached a picture at his first post, you need to click at the attachment. It is very dark, but you should be able to see the lock nut key pattern.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
He attached a picture at his first post, you need to click at the attachment. It is very dark, but you should be able to see the lock nut key pattern.

Looks like the picture was taken on a 90's disposable camera lol.

Turn the flash on buddy. Can't see shit. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Posting a better picture isn't gonna get the wheel lock off any faster. :iono:

Did you not read the posts?

The dealer "should" have a master key set for the locks and be able to AT LEAST remove them for you

Then find regular bolts or a new set of locks to replace them

Or find a dealer that does have a master set, but they all should