GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How often do you replace your pcv valve?

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've been toying with the idea of moving to California and honestly the emissions thing is a huge deterrent for me. How often do you have to go get your car smogged anyways? It would take me weeks to get my car back to the point it passes.

Every 2 yrs. Depending on County you are in.

There are some areas in CA that you do not have to smog unless you buy or sell a car. Not many of those counties left in CA.

The Cops can, and have impounded cars for manipulating Emissions Equip in this State.

When I had my Evo 9, I had a cop pull me over, he got on his hands and knees (I swear nothing sexual hehe) and he looked under my car for a Cat. He gets up and tells me "your modified" I said YEP. I told him, I have a High Flow Cat in there and I passed my Emissions test as is. He checked my paperwork and said "Good thing you had this, I was calling a tow truck".

I was like WTF :paddle:

Its not the cops being d i c k s or anything, the guy was cool, but the rules here are frickin off the hook.

Well I guess he was as cool as cool could be till he told me he was going to tow my car haha.

Anyway, I can talk for days...

Stay with an OEM PCV I'm telling you, it will make your life easier.

Jeff

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Every 2 yrs. Depending on County you are in.

There are some areas in CA that you do not have to smog unless you buy or sell a car. Not many of those counties left in CA.

The Cops can, and have impounded cars for manipulating Emissions Equip in this State.

When I had my Evo 9, I had a cop pull me over, he got on his hands and knees (I swear nothing sexual hehe) and he looked under my car for a Cat. He gets up and tells me "your modified" I said YEP. I told him, I have a High Flow Cat in there and I passed my Emissions test as is. He checked my paperwork and said "Good thing you had this, I was calling a tow truck".

I was like WTF :paddle:

Its not the cops being d i c k s or anything, the guy was cool, but the rules here are frickin off the hook.

Well I guess he was as cool as cool could be till he told me he was going to tow my car haha.

Anyway, I can talk for days...

Stay with an OEM PCV I'm telling you, it will make your life easier.

Jeff

How did Brian and Dom get away with it?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I'm guessing by the responses, no one really has a set mileage they just go ahead and replace the pcv with?
I have a mild misfire, no codes, but that, my boost gauge needle flutters at idle which it didn't do before, and I think I have a boost leak, but there's no split hoses, everything is tight, no oil, etc... just checked it a few days ago.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I just pulled the dipstick with the car running obviously... it idled up, but not rough... does that mean the pcv is good or bad or ?

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
I'm guessing by the responses, no one really has a set mileage they just go ahead and replace the pcv with?
I have a mild misfire, no codes, but that, my boost gauge needle flutters at idle which it didn't do before, and I think I have a boost leak, but there's no split hoses, everything is tight, no oil, etc... just checked it a few days ago.

Just thought I'd chime in since I've had to deal with this recently.

My PCV valve failed at 176k (orginal/old revision), which I believe led to the rear main seal failing with it. Had I known there was an updated PCV valve part, I would have done it as preventative maintenance a long time ago....

Another cause of misfires is carbon build up on the intake port/valves. When is the last time you got them cleaned? I've had to do it twice already with the miles on my car, and the carbon cleaning always solves the rough idle/misfires.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Just thought I'd chime in since I've had to deal with this recently.

My PCV valve failed at 176k (orginal/old revision), which I believe led to the rear main seal failing with it. Had I known there was an updated PCV valve part, I would have done it as preventative maintenance a long time ago....

Another cause of misfires is carbon build up on the intake port/valves. When is the last time you got them cleaned? I've had to do it twice already with the miles on my car, and the carbon cleaning always solves the rough idle/misfires.

I'm at 46k, never had carbon cleaned

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm at 46k, never had carbon cleaned

your around the same miles as my car. My car is completely stock. I cant even tell its idling its so quiet.

Shouldn't be carboned up at this mileage, but if all you do is city driving it could be.

I dont drive my car much anymore. I have put about 2k miles on it in 18 months. Since I got medically retired from my work due to an injury, I just dont drive much anymore.

I will probably install the updated PCV when I change out my spark plugs, and coil packs at 50k miles. That is something I can do myself and is pretty easy.

I also want to get my car into the dealer and have them replace my Timing Chain Tensionor. Since my car was made in mid 2012 I am not sure which one I have so I will have that changed out. Just cheap insurance.

getting to 50k miles at the rate I am going? Will be in another 3-5 yrs haha.

Jeff