GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low cost sideskirts painting ideas?

YeahBuddy

Go Kart Champion
Anybody have experience with low cost ways to paint exterior parts? I'm buying a reiger lip and skirts on a budget and locally businesses are quoting me around 400 to have all three painted deep black pearl. I'm willing to do this myself however I'm not a pro and don't have the equipment such as a spray gun etc.

Should I just accept having it done for that price (without installation) or is there some insider information on ways to save a couple hundred bucks since the car is black no metallic, should be easy as hell to match up if I just take my time with prep and painting.

TIA.

Chasing Neil

Passed Driver's Ed
it's not that difficult, but i think it's only worth it if you already have the equipment/supplies or you get satisfaction from doing it yourself. if you've ever painted something yourself, you learn firsthand why it costs as much as it actually does.

there are plenty of DIY articles available online, and if you have a local auto paint shop they are also a good resource for getting matched paint in a can and some additional instruction.

you can probably get away with a rattle can for small parts like markers, mirror caps, etc. if it were a metallic paint i'd recommend not going with a rattle can for a side skirt, but since it's a non-metallic i say go for it. the nice thing about a non-metallic is that you can wet sand the base coat if you have uneven spray.

assuming the parts come primed and ready to paint, the key is just patience and taking your time with each coat. if you do mess up, take the time to start over i.e. sand, prime and repaint.

if you don't like the results you can always take it to get painted afterwards.

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
paintscratch.com you can buy a kit to paint big plastic parts. thats what I did for my front lip and sidemarkers. I suggest ordering at least double the cans though if you are painting all of those parts