GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

F23T Technical Info Compilation Thread

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, I'm about a year later than I wanted but I've ordered my F23T. RotaryKinght's thread has gobs of great information and conversation but its got quite long. I thought it would be great to start a thread dedicated to the technical info people need to know if they are going to install one. Things like available tunes, sparkplug gap, coil packs, injectors etc.

I welcome all those trail blazers to share their setup info here similar to how I've outlined mine for consistency would be great!

Car: 2012 GTI DSG
Fueling: All Stock
Ignition: R8 coil packs, NGK PFR7Q plugs
Tune: Tune Maestro custom e-tune for 93 oct and 30% e85 70% 93 oct fuels.
Dyno: N/A

Over the next week or so as I prepare for my install I'll be reading through the other threads and pulling what I can over to this thread to make it a little easier to sort out.

Thanks again to all those who have done this first to make this such a worry free plug and play system!

Last edited:

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Even though I no longer have my car I'll chime in as I ran a F23T for about a year and half. Car ran like a champ with no MBC, peak PSI: 27, holds 25.

Car: 2011 GTI DSG
Fueling: Stock + Snow Performance Stage 2 Water/Meth Post TB 175cc Jet.
Ignition: NGK One step colder plugs gapped to .024 + Audi R8 coil packs.
Tune: Revo K04 software 93 map + Unitronic Stage 2 DSG software.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Using this post for some basic consolidated info. Will be updating with the most relevant information as the thread evolves.

Tunes:
Eurodyne: has a "canned" tune that you can install and run just like the off the shelf tunes from the other tuning companies for k04. The difference being that it also has the ability to easily be tweaked to eek out some extra power via dyno tuning with a professional or some open road pulls by the end user.

Unitronics: The stage 2+ tune is said to work very well with this turbo but is not specifically designed for the F23T. ** I believe Uni- can do custom tunes however I don't believe it is the most cost effective solution.

e-tuners: This is a full custom tuning company, there are no "canned" tunes. You would have to find a local tuner to flash and tune for your specific vehicle.

DM: Their K04 file has been proven to work reliably w/o the use of an MBC but like all of the K04 tunes having an MBC in parallel is always a good idea! Also if you're out in CA, AUTuning may be able to offer you a custom F23 tune via DM but you will need to check with them for availability.

Recommended Tuners:
AUTuning: they have the most experience with these turbos. They're out of Huntington Beach CA and have done work on many of the forum members cars.

-- If you have a recommendation to add PM me or put it in a post further down and I'll get them added here.

Fueling:
Stock: Stock fueling is fine for similar or slightly higher power output than the K04 kits from APR, UNI, REVO etc..
An estimate from one of our local experts is ~370 HP is the brick wall with stock fueling (he was running 91 and W/M when he made this statement)
--http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1601911&postcount=573

Injectors: it appears to be that we need injectors beyond the 350 hp threshold and a popular option seems to be the Cobalt SS injectors.
ACDelco 12636111

Fuel Pump: currently the mk6 fuel pump has proved to get the job done running pump gas. If you plan to run full E85 or even a mix Of pump gas and E85 you'll find that the fuel system isn't up to the task and may require both injectors and an additional fuel pump depending on your tune and goals.

Ignition:
Coils: In general its recommended to upgrade the Audi R8 Coils from Stage 2 tunes and up. It is safe to run your OEM GTI/GLI CP till one or more blows and then replace them with an upgraded part like the R8 or IP (Okada) CP.

Plugs: Regardless of car I believe in the Turbo world NGK is hands down the number one recommended plug.
Gap should be set to: .24 as a starting point
Part #: NGK PFR8S8EG

Tramsmission:

DSG: Based on some conversation in another F23 thread I think that its safe to say that if you're going to be running the F23 you'll want a DSG tune. No magic here just pick the company that's right for you whether its pricing/convenience/reviews that drives your decision the file likely won't be tailored to your vehicle specs.

Manual: I believe manual guys are putting in clutches for stage 2 power. Those clutches may suffice for k04/F23 power output levels but I don't have one and would need someone with a manual to confirm this.

Parts:

MBC: Manual Boost Controller is needed to run in parallel or in place of the N75 to prevent over boosting when using any software not specifically tailored to the F23T and your engine.
-- http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1488505&postcount=294

Links:
Install: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66010

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Current set up till the end of the week.......

Car: 2011 GTi DSG 90k+ miles
Fueling: ZZP Opel 135# Primary Injectors, Additional AEM (in-tank) LPFP, 50/50 (E85/91oct)
Ignition: NGK PFR8S8EG (0.024), R8 Coils
Tune: Eurodyne ECU (25psi), Eurodyne DSG Tune
Dyno: 363whp/378wtq (out of fueling)

Adding 5th 1000cc injector and full E85 tune.

Last edited:

Evorage

Passed Driver's Ed
Even though I no longer have my car I'll chime in as I ran a F23T for about a year and half. Car ran like a champ with no MBC, peak PSI: 27, holds 25.

Car: 2011 GTI DSG
Fueling: Stock + Snow Performance Stage 2 Water/Meth Post TB 175cc Jet.
Ignition: NGK One step colder plugs gapped to .024 + Audi R8 coil packs.
Tune: Revo K04 software 93 map + Unitronic Stage 2 DSG software.
I will be taking your advice on the revo k04 software, since the wast gate was already set to revo. Thanks again for the great price on the turbo.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I will be taking your advice on the revo k04 software, since the wast gate was already set to revo. Thanks again for the great price on the turbo.

Anytime man! Enjoy and post up once you get everything setup :thumbsup:

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
2013 with F23 forge large UK version intake, catless dp, DM ko4 tune @27 psi. Wagner IC (yet to be installed), stock spark plugs, and everything else, car runs perfect.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Current set up till the end of the week.......

Car: 2011 GTi DSG 90k+ miles
Fueling: ZZP Opel 135# Primary Injectors, Additional AEM (in-tank) LPFP, 50/50 (E85/91oct)
Ignition: NGK PFR8S8EG (0.024), R8 Coils
Tune: Eurodyne ECU (25psi), Eurodyne DSG Tune
Dyno: 363whp/378wtq (out of fueling)

Adding 5th 1000cc injector and full E85 tune.

Really looking forward to this mate.

FL_GTI

Ready to race!
Anyone running APR 3.1 K04 tune with the F23T?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Anyone running APR 3.1 K04 tune with the F23T?

I don't think the boost control would compliment the f23t well because 3.1 uses a lot of surge protection before 4k. With the f23t you can make gobs of torque low down because it's much more surge resistant than a k04. Running it on 3.1 would kind of defeat the purpose of the turbo unless you don't use the n75 at all. Even then I'd keep a close eye on things down low because the whole tune was built around the original k04 boost curve.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
My old setup:

Car: 2012 GTI MT
Fueling: 91 octane + dual nozzle water/meth injection. Stock injectors & lpfp
Tune: Eurodyne
Dyno: 360whp/380wtq