GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Saison 2 on track on budget GTI : Weight and suspension

schulmann

Passed Driver's Ed
Amazing start of the 2017 season, my 2001 GTI runs perfectly and looks reliable. I started the season on new Nitto NT-01, 245/45R17 on 2001 Audi rims. The tires are wide and heavy but the stage 1 APR compensates for it.
My solution on the weakest point of the GTI (brakes) works absolutely perfectly.

The homemade cooling system makes my brakes too cold ! I am running DTC-60 pads in the front. I have to driver "aggressively" to maintain the right pad temperature.The front caliper temperature inside is just 180F, the rotors are 600F.

I am at the next stage on improving this GTI. The body roll is important since I am pushing really hard this GTI. In order to gain speed I need to improve the handling which is already exceptionally good considering my speed.

Which suspension kit give the best handling versus bucks ? Something around $1000 ? Need to reduce body roll.

Which are the best option reduce weight? The GTI runs empty with one seat. Where are those heavy body parts for comfort that I can cut out or replace ?

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I like my bilstein PSS for daily and track. With stock sway bars, the balance is a hair toward overseer for rotation off throttle and the spring rates are more performance oriented than most in that range.

Mind sharing some pics of the cooling set up? Curious as i may try to fab something, but space is tight!

bequietanddrive

Ready to race!
For a 1k budget, I would recommend BC Racing BR Series Coilovers. I bought mine for 950 shipped. The hardware quality is excellent, you can get any spring rate you want with the dampers setup to match the rates, 30 way adjustable rebound dampening, the coilovers are readily serviceable with replacement shocks only running $90.

I liked them because they also offer a good upgrade path - the shocks can easily be upgraded to remote resevoir, compression adjustability, etc.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I got my Koni Sports on sale for ~$500 new. Add Ground Control sleeves and you've got a very good setup for your budget.