GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low Cold Idle

TheAire

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you ever get a low cold idle at times. Sometimes when I start my car up instead of it going all the way up to 1100 or so it will go straight to regular idle. Seems to be especially when I start it up for the first time in the morning when the motor is cold. On top of that when it does this, I hear like a servo motor or something running intermittently. So what you guys think it could be?

Thanks in Advance.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you ever get a low cold idle at times. Sometimes when I start my car up instead of it going all the way up to 1100 or so it will go straight to regular idle. Seems to be especially when I start it up for the first time in the morning when the motor is cold. On top of that when it does this, I hear like a servo motor or something running intermittently. So what you guys think it could be?

Thanks in Advance.

Should have immediately turned the car off, pulled out your video camera, and turn the car back on. THEN bring it to the dealership and prepared to have them "it's nothing"

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
My golf does this too when its really cold. Maybe its to prevent excessive engine wear due to the temperature. I usually still wait a minute or so before driving. When its normal outside it revs to 1,100 or so for a while and then comes back to a normal idle.

CMD

Ready to race!
Have experienced this occasionally as well. Also figured (or hoped) it was related to rather cold conditions

Peachaz

Ready to race!
From my experience, it should rev high to warm up the catalyst then drop to normal revs once it is warm. It does this to reduce harmful combustion by-products from your exhaust.

My car hits 1100rpm for about 45 secs then drops to normal revs.

I'd say that what you are experiencing is not normal.

Vhargz

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

Thanks in Advance.

My car started doing this when ambient temperatures neared the freezing mark. I also get the servo noise like in this video:

Not sure why though.

Jacris

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Thanks in Advance.

same, only on super cold days. I suspect something going on with OAT signal, if its electronically heated at start-up maybe it sensing a false high. doesnt seem to harm anything, but wonder if its normal.

TheAire

Passed Driver's Ed
My car started doing this when ambient temperatures neared the freezing mark. I also get the servo noise like in this video:

Not sure why though.

This is Exactly the Noise I am getting! so is it considered normal?