GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40K service...what's involved?

VR6eric

Ready to race!
Planning to do my own 40k service down the road. Can someone list what occurs at 40k service? My dealership is charging $500+ for the service, I figure I'd do it myself and save some $$$. And, will DIY a 40k service void an extended warranty??

Thanks.

puh leeze. Don't have to do all that at the dealership. A/c filters and air filters you cna do yourself. Check the manual for what needs to be done.... it ain't much though..

if you have DSG, you are required to change the fluid at 40k...

nothing voids the warranty...unless they can prove you fudged it up...

VR6eric

Ready to race!
Thanks. I'll end up doing it myself, but looking for a DIY to flush brakes and coolant. Also, plan on changing my brake pads and I'm thinking Hawk Performance HPS brake pads.

Thanks. I'll end up doing it myself, but looking for a DIY to flush brakes and coolant. Also, plan on changing my brake pads and I'm thinking Hawk Performance HPS brake pads.

coolant is lifetime bro! If anything, I'd only touch it near 100k. Go get some test strips from autozone and test it to see if the coolant is still good.

I did a test on my old mk5 at 35K and the coolant was still in great shape. The dealer tried to sell me a coolant flush; I told em it wasn't necessary. And as long as it ain't in the manual, they can go fugg themselves.

Brake fluid? Now that's a wise thing to do every 2 to 3 years.

You won't need plugs until 60k either, so there ya have it.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Brake fluid the dealer changed it at 30k on my mk5, they didn't do it on your mk6? The 40k Service includes: spark plugs, gas filter, air filter, cabin filter and the usual oil change. The hardest part is the gas filter, you just have to pay attention on the orientation, and where the lines connect to it. It will cost you about $160 just in parts, so I would say to do it yourself and give the dealer the finger.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Say you fucked up your car and you cannot figure it out WHO ARE YOU GOING TO CALL

Ghost busters

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
What i meant to say is that i took my car to independent shop and they said SORRY we donot know what's wrong with your car TAKE IT TO THE DEALER so you best friend will be the dealer,as now a day cars are getting more complicated for independent shop to work on them.Some people are going suck it up and pay dealer price for diagnosis.

Just my 2 cents

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Well, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, yes take it to the dealer, but for me the 40k maintenance is not hard, and I'm not really into mechanics. But I wouldn't do it alone, I'll get my father to do it with me jejeje. Now, if I had a DSG and had to change the fluid to it, I would definitely go to the dealer.

nekkehd

Ready to race!
That's why you take it to a shop that specializes in foregin/vw cars.

golf 6

Ready to race!
Hello all from what I read 40k service sounds simple and as for the DSG am sure you get the syringe and hose to change it only issue you would have if you don't have a ramp is putting car on axle stands to lie under car with syringe to 1. Remove the old fluid 2.fill it up am not sure if the mk6 DSG has a drain plug but that's all you would have to do!......... or goto your local vw and goto the workshop door and stop a mechanic and ask who would be interested in a homer that would save u a bit of money compared to dealer

phant0m

Ready to race!
The hardest part is the gas filter, you just have to pay attention on the orientation, and where the lines connect to it.

LOL what? I replaced my fuel filter yesterday. It took me 7 minutes, seriously. There is only one way to put it in, there's a 'nub' that forces it to sit in the bracket one way. And the lines have virtually no slack so there's really no way to mess up which ones go where.

As far as the DSG service, it's very easy to do. Get the fluid, filter and o-rings from the VW parts dept (or order online) and do it yourself. It's easy, just takes a while. You have to remove the intake, battery and battery tray. The plastic housing for the DSG filter is right there. Take it off, go under the car and crack the drain plug, let it drain into a pan. Measure exactly what comes out. Close the drain plug, and fill it up with the exact amount of fluid that you measured which came out. It'll take a while to fill since it's sort of like a vacuum and the fluid drains in slowly (unless you buy the fancy fill tool). Then replace the filter and o-ring, lube the o-ring with DSG fluid, replace filter and put everything back together. There's no need to buy any special tools, or monitor the temp with vag-com. I, along with many others, have done it this way with no problems.

Do not let the dealer charge you to do the DSG service, it's likely easier than you think.