GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally happened... sagging headliner on my 2011 GTI.

fermasast

Passed Driver's Ed
just did mine. $200 I removed headliner and sunroof shade. Material is pretty much the same. its the HUMIDITY!!! since the headliner being fixed I always make sure I leave the circulation a/c on to avoid the humidity entering the car as much.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Mine started sagging around the sun visors a year or two ago. It's also a car that's spent most of it's life in humid environments. When it starts to annoy me I was going to hit up an auto fabric shop, I like the alcantara idea.

zrickety

The Fixer
You can DIY for about $60 but it's still a PITA.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Mine just went from "meh, I can live with it" to "dammit, now this has to be fixed...." It started separating from around the map light cluster.

I'm going to pay someone to do it. Fiddling with a bunch of crappy plastic clips is not my idea of a relaxing day off.

Uberryan

Banned
My door cards are now going. I almost want to swap over to a full leather interior.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
My door cards are now going. I almost want to swap over to a full leather interior.

I don't suppose anybody knows where to find the MkVI plaid pattern fabric? Because having that on the door cards might look pretty cool (or it could look atrocious, I'm not good at imagining these things).

zrickety

The Fixer
I don't suppose anybody knows where to find the MkVI plaid pattern fabric? Because having that on the door cards might look pretty cool (or it could look atrocious, I'm not good at imagining these things).

I found the plaid material on a website, but it's expensive. Costs an arm and a leg, I'm sure you can Google it.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
My headliner is sagging around both the driver and passenger sun visors. Took it into the dealer with 5 days left on my warranty and they're replacing the whole headliner no questions asked.

spihawk

Temp fix for those that want one.

I don't have the funds to get this fixed but it makes your car look like cheap trash. Have been running this setup for 3ish weeks. Can go windows down and everything. Looks way better than it sagging down around that light. This did look as bad as any of the other pics I have seen. Huge eyesore.

I used the aluminum piece on the neck of a bottle of Jameson. I imagine any sturdy aluminum will do. Cut little teeth on one side and and cut slits in the headliner to put the teeth through. Was pretty easy.

http://imgur.com/GQ9RsEf
http://imgur.com/XY4TXzQ

Also, be careful removing that light cover. The clips holding it in are made out of the most brittle plastic ever.

Last edited:

CMGTI

Ready to race!
I have it too, trust me, it really pisses me off. For a car thats only 6 years old, this shouldnt be happening. That sad part is everything else in the interior is perfect (to me).

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
stop having so much sex in your cars and building up all that steam to melt the headliner glue

This is the first time ive ever seen the sagging headliner in a mk6 it was notorious for mk4s

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
My headliner on my 2013 is starting to droop around the sun visor. My car has been garaged since new at home and at work. Really should not happen on such a new car and another strike of many against VW quality with this car.

EDIT: Added a picture to show where the sag/droop is starting around the visor area. Same thing happened to my '07 GTI and started at the same location and got worse fast.

Last edited:

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Mine just went from "meh, I can live with it" to "dammit, now this has to be fixed...." It started separating from around the map light cluster.

I'm going to pay someone to do it. Fiddling with a bunch of crappy plastic clips is not my idea of a relaxing day off.

I went through the same stages, I really didn't want to spend $350 on a stupid repair. But honestly once I did it, I actually felt somewhat good about it because it didn't look like a cheap car anymore.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I called VWoA and opened a claim with them about the headliner and told them I had the same issue with my '07 GTI which he was actually able to see in the system.
He mentioned that it is common in hot states like Texas and Florida due to the foam and that's the reason they did away with the foam on the new Jettas. He definitely seemed aware of the issue but still didn't know how much help they would provide if any. Waiting to hear back.

If they don't cover it I'll probably have the headliner and pillars redone with alcantara. Give it an Audi RS-esque look.